Riverview Gardens is currently closed to the general public.
Brief hugs are allowed regardless of immunization status.
Activities such as karaoke, singing and dancing are now permitted.
Please read the below information carefully- some information has been updated to reflect 'Stage 3' guidelines effective July 16, 2021.
On-Site Rapid Testing
- All staff, caregivers, visitors, students and volunteers who are fully vaccinated (14 days post 2nd dose) will no longer be subject to rapid testing upon entering our Home.
- Please bring proof of your COVID-19 vaccine with every visit.
- If an individual is not fully vaccinated (14 days post 2nd dose) or does not provide proof, then a rapid test is still required.
- Rapid testing is now only required 1-2 times a week on non-consecutive days for those applicable.
Rapid testing will now close at 8:00pm daily.
Rapid Testing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where is the rapid testing area at Riverview Gardens?
Just inside the Robertson Ave entrance.
How do I track my rapid testing?
Caregivers and staff will be given an 'RVG Passport' upon your first rapid test. Please carry your RVG Passport with you and be prepared to show the screeners on your way in.
What if I forget my RVG Passport?
Screeners can look it up on a computer if it's your test date – this may take some time, so please remember to carry your RVG Passport with you.
How do I know if I should be tested?
Were you tested the day before? If the answer is no, a test is required (until 2x limit reached for those not fully vaccinated; 14 days post 2nd dose or does not provide proof of COVID-19 vaccine). If the answer is yes, no test is required.
Can I opt for weekly PCR testing instead of rapid testing?
No, as of March 15, 2021, all long-term care homes must implement rapid testing only. PCR lab testing will only be used to confirm a positive test result on a positive rapid test.
For more rapid testing FAQ's click here!
Please note: this information is subject to change.
Day and Overnight Absences
- Permitted for all residents regardless of COVID-19 vaccine status.
- Please contact the resident's unit staff/care centre to arrange to take a resident out for the day.
- Please continue to follow public health measures such as physical distancing (6 feet apart), hand hygiene and wearing a mask, while residents are away from Riverview Gardens.
- We encourage residents to return to Riverview Gardens by 8:00pm.
- Residents will need to go through the screening process upon returning to Riverview Gardens, if they do not pass screening, they will need to be placed in isolation until a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test is completed and returned negative.
For overnight absences, we will review these case by case before approving them.
- Five (5) people per resident may visit at a time ( no specific number of caregivers/ general visitors - any 5 people).
- Visits must be in the resident's room, Courtyard, unit balcony or outside around the building premises only.
- Please contact the resident's unit staff/ care centre for day outings.
- No visiting other caregivers or residents.
- Those under 14 years old, must be accompanied by an adult and must have adult consent for rapid testing if applicable.
- Children under the age of 2 may come in without following visitor rules.
- Visitors may help feed in the back of the dining room.
- Caregivers must wear proper PPE provided by the Home in Outbreak Units at all times.
- Visits must take place at a designated location only.
- No walking around the Courtyard.
- Caregivers/visitors must wear a mask and face shield/ goggles at all times.
- Residents to wear a mask as tolerated.
- No visiting with other residents/ caregivers.
- Only residents are permitted to smoke.
- Maximum of 30 minutes.
- One (1) resident and one (1) caregiver/visitor are allowed at a time.
- Caregiver/ visitor must wear a mask at all times.
- Residents to wear a mask as tolerated.
- Maximum of 30 minutes.
- All outdoor visits must be pre-booked.
- Outdoor visits are 30 minutes ( allows time for sanitization in-between visits).
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled outdoor visit time to screen in and allow residents to come downstairs.
- All visitors must screen in inside the Robertson Ave entrance and pass the screening questions – a rapid test is not required for outdoor visitors.
- Outdoor visits will take place at designated tables around the Robertson Ave sidewalk area.
- Residents are able to visit outdoors with an unlimited amount of people at a time regardless of vaccine status.
- Social distancing is not required if all visitors and the resident are fully vaccinated. Please bring confirmation of immunization status to each visit
- Social distancing is required for those NOT fully vaccinated, or those without proof of immunization- please adhere to these rules for everyone's safety.
- Residents will be offered masks to wear, where tolerated.
- All visitors must wear a mask at all times ( outdoor visitors may bring their own mask).
- Food and drinks are permitted during outdoor visits.
- Pets are permitted during outdoor visits.
Outdoor Visit Schedule:
Mondays – 2nd Floor
Tuesdays – 3rd floor
Wednesdays – 6th Floor
Thursdays – 4th Floor
Fridays – 5th Floor
Saturdays – All floors – limited availability
Sundays – No outdoor visits at this time
How to book an outdoor visit:
Outdoor visit time slots include:
Call 519-352-4823, press 6 and dial x 6137
Leave a message with your name, contact information AND the name and room number of the resident you are intending to visit - also tell us three (3) time slots that you are available for (this will help our scheduler arrange visits creating a quicker turnaround)
Messages will only be checked during business hours (Monday to Friday between 8:00am and 4:00pm)
9:30am to 10:00am
10:15am to 10:45am
11:00am to 11:30am
1:15pm to 1:45pm
2:00pm to 2:30pm
4:00pm to 4:30pm
6:00pm to 6:30pm
- Outdoor visits may be cancelled due to weather.
- We have limited seating available outside. You may consider bringing your own chairs to sit in the green space behind Riverview Gardens.
- Wheelchairs must remain on sidewalks, for safety purposes.
For outdoor visit FAQ's click here!
End of Life Visitors
- Five (5) EOL visitors are allowed at a time from 6:00am to 8:00pm.
- After 8:00pm only two (2) EOL visitors are allowed at a time.
- If an EOL visitor is fully vaccinated (14 days post 2nd dose) they do not require a rapid test.
- If an EOL visitor is not fully vaccinated, they must be rapid tested upon entry (1-2 times a week maximum) and are exempt from waiting 15 minutes prior to going upstairs.
- If an EOL visitor visits outside of testing hours then they can go upstairs without being rapid tested.
- We will be asking all visitors/caregivers to bring proof of vaccine with every visit - without it they will have to go by the rules of being un-vaccinated.
- Eye protection is no longer required regardless of vaccine status unless it's a personal preference.
- Please continue to wear the mask provided by our home properly (covering mouth and nose) at all times.
- Sunrooms are closed to visitors and caregivers at this time ( to prevent congregating).
- We are requesting two (2) metre distancing in the hallways.
- Items may be dropped off at the Robertson Avenue entrance and put on the cart right inside the door.
- Any violation of these rules may result in visiting privileges being revoked.
- Rules are subject to change.
Who can be a caregiver?
- Caregivers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each resident may have an unlimited number of caregivers.
- A caregiver application must be completed, submitted and approved. The caregiver application can be downloaded below.
- Examples of caregivers include family members who provide meaningful connections, a privately hired caregiver, paid companions and translators.
- Caregivers may come in daily for any length of time.
- Caregivers are not required to do any tasks by RVG, but they can do the things they did prior to the pandemic to support the resident. For example, one caregiver at a time may be in the dining room with the resident to help with eating. While not required, we would like to prearrange this so we can have a separate table set up for social distancing purposes.
Caregivers MUST wear a yellow caregiver button when they are onsite so their caregiver status is easily recognized.
- Caregivers MUST pass screening questions upon entry.
- Prior to visiting any resident for the first time, RVG will provide training to caregivers to show how to safely provide direct care, including putting on and taking off required PPE and hand hygiene.
- At least once every month RVG will ask caregivers to verbally agree they have read/re-read our visitor policy.
Submit Caregiver Applications by mail to:
519 King Street West
Chatham ON N7M 1G8
Please include your return address.
Caregiver Applications may be submitted in person by dropping off at the screening desk located at the Robertson Avenue entrance.
Need a PCR COVID-19 Test?
You can book a PCR COVID-19 test online at
To confirm your appointment date and time, you will need:
- A valid green Ontario Health Card
- An email address
If you do not have access to the above, call the Chatham-Kent Health Alliance at 519-352-6400 x 6548 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday. After hours, call 519-352-6400 x 6584.
Bring your health card as well as a list of medications, allergies and past health issues. The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at the St. Clair College HealthPlex - 1001 Grand Avenue West in Chatham. Free parking is available during business hours in the lot adjacent to the building.
For more information or questions about our services call 519-352-4823 or email us at