Riverview Gardens is currently closed to the general public.
Units affected by an outbreak status: 2 East, 2 West, 3 East and4 East.
The Hair Salon is closed until further notice.
No general visitors are allowed.
End of Life visitors are permitted.
On-Site Rapid Testing
- All fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (14 days post 2nd dose) staff, students, volunteers and caregivers are to be rapid antigen tested a minimum of two (2) times per week- Caregivers must wait 15 minutes for results before proceeding into our home.
- Testing is not required for infants under one (1) year of age.
- Those who have had COVID-19 in the past 30 days should not be retested except for the onset of symptoms or if travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days.
- Please bring proof of your COVID-19 vaccine with every visit.
Rapid testing is available from 6:00 am to 10:30 pm during weekdays, closed from 12:00pm to 1:00pm and 5:15 pm to 6:00 pm daily.
Rapid Testing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where is the rapid testing area at Riverview Gardens?
Just inside the Robertson Ave entrance.
How do I track my rapid testing?
Caregivers and staff will be given an 'RVG Passport' upon your first rapid test. Please carry your RVG Passport with you and be prepared to show the screeners on your way in.
What if I forget my RVG Passport?
Screeners can look it up on a computer if it's your test date – this may take some time, so please remember to carry your RVG Passport with you.
How do I know if I should be tested?
Were you tested the day before? If the answer is no, a test is required (until minimum 2x limit reached for those fully vaccinated (14 days post 2nd dose).
Can I opt for weekly PCR testing instead of rapid testing?
No, as of March 15, 2021, all long-term care homes must implement rapid testing only. PCR lab testing will only be used to confirm a positive test result on a positive rapid test.
For more rapid testing FAQ's click here!
Please note: this information is subject to change.
Day and Overnight Absences
- Day social absences are not permitted at this time.
- Overnight social absences are not permitted at this time.
- Essential, medical, compassionate and palliative absences are still permitted.
- Please continue to follow public health measures such as physical distancing (6 feet apart), hand hygiene and wearing a mask, while residents are away from Riverview Gardens.
- Residents will need to go through the screening process upon returning to Riverview Gardens, if they do not pass screening, they will need to be placed in isolation until a PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test is completed and returned negative.
- Two (2) approved caregivers per resident may visit at a time except for units in an outbreak status - one (1) approved caregiver may visit at a time in those units.
- Visits on non-outbreak units must be in the resident's room, Courtyard, unit balcony, Sunrooms or unit hallways only.
- Visits on outbreak units must occur in the resident's room only.
- Visits on the main floor ( Pub, Great Room area, King Street area etc.) are not permitted at this time.
- No visiting other caregivers or residents.
- Approved caregivers may help feed in the back of the dining room.
- Caregivers must wear proper PPE provided by the Home in outbreak units at all times.
- Outdoor visits are not permitted at this time.
- Visits must take place at a designated location only.
- No walking around the Courtyard.
- Approved caregivers must wear a mask and eye protection at all times.
- Residents to wear a mask as tolerated.
- No visiting with other residents/ caregivers.
- Only residents are permitted to smoke.
- Maximum of 30 minutes.
- One (1) resident and one (1) approved caregiver are allowed at a time.
- Approved caregiver must wear a mask and eye protection at all times.
- Residents to wear a mask as tolerated.
- Maximum of 30 minutes.
End of Life (EOL) Visitors
- Five (5) EOL visitors are allowed at a time.
- EOL visitors who are fully vaccinated, pass screening and rapid testing may enter the home, wearing a surgical mask and eye protection.
- EOL visitors who are not fully vaccinated ( 14 days post 2nd dose) and fail the screening must undergo a rapid test with negative results to enter the home and, for the duration of the visit, wear full PPE and maintain physical distance from others.
If an EOL visitor comes to visit after rapid testing/ screening hours, the nurse in charge would perform the screening and antigen testing with the visitor. If that EOL visitor fails the testing, they would not be allowed to enter the home.
- Please switch out your mask for one of ours provided upon entry. It must be worn properly (covering mouth and nose) at all times.
- We are requesting two (2) metre distancing in the hallways.
- Items may be dropped off at the Robertson Avenue entrance and put on the cart right inside the door. Please label clearly.
- We request people refrain from bringing in any shared food products.
- Any violation of these rules may result in visiting privileges being revoked.
- Rules are subject to change.
Who can be a caregiver?
- Caregivers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each resident may designate two (2) caregivers.
- A caregiver application must be completed, submitted and approved. The caregiver application can be downloaded below.
- Examples of caregivers include family members who provide meaningful connections, a privately hired caregiver, paid companions and translators.
- New caregivers must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ( 14 days post 2nd dose).
- Caregivers may come in daily for any length of time.
- Caregivers are not required to do any tasks by RVG, but they can do the things they did prior to the pandemic to support the resident. For example, one caregiver at a time may be in the dining room with the resident to help with eating. While not required, we would like to prearrange this so we can have a separate table set up for social distancing purposes.
Caregivers MUST wear a
yellow caregiver button when they are onsite so their caregiver status is easily recognized.
- Caregivers MUST pass screening questions upon entry.
- Prior to visiting any resident for the first time, RVG will provide training to caregivers to show how to safely provide direct care, including putting on and taking off required PPE and hand hygiene.
- At least once every month RVG will ask caregivers to verbally agree they have read/re-read our visitor policy.
- RVG is responsible for providing surgical/procedure masks.
Submit Caregiver Applications by mail to:
519 King Street West
Chatham ON N7M 1G8
Please include your return address.
Caregiver Applications may be submitted in person by dropping off at the screening desk located at the Robertson Avenue entrance.
Need a PCR COVID-19 Test?
You can book a PCR COVID-19 test online at
To confirm your appointment date and time, you will need:
- A valid green Ontario Health Card.
- An email address.
If you do not have access to the above, call 519-436-2556 between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, 7 days a week to schedule an appointment.
The COVID-19 Assessment Centre is located at 10 Grand Avenue West ( located within the 7-11 plaza on the corner of Grand Avenue and St. Clair Street) in Chatham, Ontario.
What you will need to bring to your appointment:
- A valid green Ontario health card.
- List of any current medications, allergies and past health issues.
For more information or questions about our services call 519-352-4823 or email us at