Tax Rebate & Relief Programs

Property owners may apply for cancellation, reduction or refund on all or part of taxes levied. Requirements are governed by legislation as described under Sections 357 and 358 of the Municipal Act, 2001.


Reasons to apply under section 357 or 358 include:

  • Property ceases to be liable to tax at the rate it was taxed
  • Property has become exempt from taxation
  • Property was razed by fire, demolition or otherwise
  • Property was damaged and substantially unusable
  • Applicant is unable to pay taxes because of sickness or extreme poverty
  • Mobile unit was removed from the property
  • Applicant was overcharged due to a gross or manifest clerical or factual error
  • Repairs or renovations to the property prevented the normal use for a period of at least three months and is not in the residential class

For relief from property taxes because of sickness or extreme poverty, the Assessment Review Board (ARB) will review your application. They may ask you and other members of your household to provide documentation such as:

  • Financial statements
  • Health records
  • Income tax assessments


Applications related to sickness or extreme poverty should be submitted before February 18 for the previous year.

All other applications must be submitted to the Municipality of Chatham-Kent on or before February 28 for the previous year. You need to reapply each year for tax relief.

Submit your completed application by email to, in person to any Municipal Service Centre or by mail to:

Chatham-Kent Tax Department
315 King Street West, PO Box 640
Chatham, ON  N7M 5K8

Please ensure the property address and roll number are written on all correspondence.

Download the Application for Adjustment of Taxes