By-law Enforcement

​By-laws help ensure Chatham-Kent remains a place we're all proud to call home. These rules allow us to maintain a high standard of safety and respect for our community, and each other.

By-laws set minimum standards for the upkeep of buildings, yards and properties in Chatham-Kent to promote the health, safety and general welfare of our residents.

All property owners are required to maintain and repair properties to comply with municipal property standards and lot maintenance by-laws and ensure all buildings, structures and yards are kept clean and free of any garbage or waste. Owners are also responsible for conducting regular checkups on any rental properties to ensure no by-law violations exist and that tenants are aware of the by-law requirements.

Process of Submitting a Complaint

  • A written, signed complaint form must be submitted to the By-law Enforcement Office, Building Services Department - Chatham Civic Centre.
  • Once the form has been received, the By-law Enforcement Officer will visit the property in question to ensure that it is a valid complaint.
  • If the complaint is valid, a letter is sent to the property owner advising on the specifics of the infraction, what is required in order to comply with the specific by-law and how long will be given in order to comply.  
  • The By-law Enforcement Officer will follow up with the complainant regarding the actions taken.

For a list of the by-laws, the department enforces, please contact Building Development Services at 519-360-1998.

Download Complaint Form

Unkempt Grass & Weeds

Weed Control By-law

Call Chatham-Kent Public Works at 519-360-1998 or submit the completed complaint form above by email to

Curb Side Debris/Garbage

Curb-side Garbage By-law

Call Waste Management at 519-360-1998.


Noise By-law

Call non-emergency Police Services at 519-352-1234.

Road Conditions & Quality

Property Standards By-law

Call Public Works at 519-360-1998 or submit the completed complaint form above by email to    

The minimum maintenance standard from the Ontario Municipal Act 2001 is applied to the Chatham-Kent Roads.

Standing Water

Call customer service at 519-360-1998 and they will direct you to the proper department.


There are currently no by-laws concerning trees in Chatham-Kent, however, Public Works oversees tree trimming and removal on municipal property. For any concern regarding trees on municipal property, call Public Works at 519-360-1998.