Chatham-Kent has a 2-stream recycling program using a blue box for cans, plastic and glass and a black box for fibre products. To view the Recycling Schedule Guide and holiday hours, visit the Waste Connections website.
Never again lose track of your collection day with
Recycle Coach App. Set reminders and find out the proper disposal instructions for thousands of items. Click one of the buttons below, download the app and put in your address to access your recycling information.
Recycling Day Reminders
- Blue and black boxes must be placed at the curb no earlier than 7:00 pm the night before your collection day and no later than 7:00 am the morning of collection, rain or shine. If you have accidentally discarded something that cannot be recycled, it will be left.
- Recycling boxes
will not be emptied if items other than acceptable recycling materials are present in the box.
Flatten all large boxboard and cardboard,
tie in dimensions no larger than 75cm x 75cm x 20cm (30" x 30" x 8") and place beside black box. If placing large boxboard and cardboard inside the black box, please ensure all material is flattened and no longer than 75cm (30").
- No need to place cans, plastics or glass into separate plastic bags in the blue box. It will all be separated at the recycling depot. Please rinse out containers.
Rinse all containers to remove all food residue before placing them in the recycling box.
- Blue and black boxes can be obtained from the
Chatham Civic Centre or any one of the
Municipal Service Centres.
- CK Residents can use non-Chatham-Kent recycling boxes at the curb if all of the following conditions are met:
- The non-Chatham-Kent recycling boxes are in addition to the CK logo recycling boxes
- The non-Chatham-Kent containers are designated only for curbside recycling (i.e. no laundry baskets, cardboard boxes plastic boxes)
- The material in the non-Chatham-Kent recycling boxes are properly sorted recyclables that comply with the two-stream recycling system
- All recycling boxes are properly placed and spaced at the curb (i.e. 1 metre way from garbage toter)
Recyclepedia for a list of acceptable black and blue box items, as well as for instructions on how to prepare your items for recycling pick up.
What is Not Recyclable?
- Foil drink pouches (Kool-Aid Jammers) aluminum foil-lined containers (wine, etc.)
- Gift wrap paper, waxed soft drink cups
- Styrofoam and Styrofoam containers
- Plastic flowerpots, wrap and all bags
- Waxed boxboard (frozen food packaging)
- Hard covered books
- Loose shredded paper
- Needles, batteries, coat hangers
- Drinking glasses, broken glass, dishes, cups, light bulbs, pottery, dishes, cooking pots and pans, glass pots, mirrors and window glass
Recycling Toter Carts
Recycling toter carts are available to all multi-residential (6 or more units), commercial, industrial and institutional properties. They are subsidized by the Municipality at 50%. However the Municipality is currently not accepting orders for recycling toter carts due to a delay in shipping. Please check with our Customer Service Team as to their availability.
Apartment Buildings (Multi-Residential)
The owner of any building that contains six or more dwelling units must implement a source separation/recycling program for the waste generated at the building (Ontario Regulation 103/94). This is regulated through The Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks. For more information, call 1-800-387-8826.
Most multi-residential buildings within the Municipality have private garbage/recycling pick up with a private contractor. They often dispose of their excess waste in a dumpster(s) located behind their building. Limited municipal curbside garbage and recycling collection is available as per By-Law 119-2005.