Social Assistance

​Ontario Works Assistance helps people in our community who need money for food, a place to live, and other basic needs. Ontario Works Case Managers provide information on services and help people who are able to prepare for and find work.

You can apply for:

  • Emergency financial help
  • Ongoing financial help
  • Assistance with rent and/or energy costs

To be eligible, you must:

  • Live in Chatham-Kent
  • Need money right away to help with food and housing costs
  • Be willing to take part in activities that will help you find a job (if you are able)

Use the Eligibility Estimator to see if you qualify or follow the steps in how to apply for social assistance.
We can also make referrals on your behalf to Community Agencies in Chatham-Kent that might be able to help you. For more information on our programs and services, call 519-351-8573 or email

For a list of your rights and responsibilities, visit the Ontario website.