The renovations program helps low to moderate-income families repair their homes to improve energy efficiency or accessibility.
Do you qualify?
- Your total annual gross household income must be $80,100 or less
- You own a home within the Municipality of Chatham-Kent that is your main residence with an MPAC value of $342,252 or less
- You have the equity in the home to cover the loan amount - equity determined by MPAC value minus mortgage amount
- You only have one or no items registered on title - this loan cannot be registered less than 2nd (all loans over $5,000 are registered on title)
- You have not previously received funding through the Renovations or Homeownership Program at your current property
How much financial help could you receive?
- Up to $50,000 max in a forgivable loan
- Up to $5,000 max in the form of a grant for accessibility repairs
What are some examples of repairs?
- Chair and bath lifts
- Doors and windows
- Electrical systems
- Foundations, roofs, walls, floors and ceilings
- Heating systems
- Height adjustments to countertops
- Roof replacement
- Toilet replacement with low-flush to a dual-flush toilet
Energy Efficiency Upgrades
A key objective of this program is to respect the environment and help with savings that will improve housing affordability over the long term through the use of energy savings products or systems.
- Contractors that you choose to complete the renovations must be 'arm's length' and have WSIB and insurance coverage
- Contractors will not receive deposits prior to work commencing
- Contractors will receive a payment within 30 days of the completion date
Important Note - additional funding from other sources to be directed to Municipality:
If a recipient of the Renovations Program receives additional funding from sources other than the Renovations Program (i.e. rebate program funds) to be used for the work at the Renovations Project Home, the recipient is required to irrevocably direct the Municipality to the full funds received from any other funding source(s).
Return the completed application form to:
Chatham-Kent Housing Services
435 Grand Avenue West, PO Box 1296
Chatham, Ontario N7M 5R9
Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (excluding holidays)
Please include all of the required information as well as an estimated cost of repairs/renovations from a professional contractor.