Grass and Weeds

Municipal Roadways

Our Public Works Department provides rural roadside mowing to improve visibility and to prevent weeds and grass from encroaching on our roadways. If there are areas with restricted visibility causing traffic concerns, call 519-360-1998 or submit a service request online.

Weed and Long Grass By-Laws

Chatham-Kent uses both the Weed Control Act and Chatham-Kent's Long Grass and Weed Height By-Law to control long grass and weeds on private property. These measures serve to protect public health and maintain property standards, as well as the farming and horticultural industries by preventing the spread of noxious weeds.

The Long Grass and Weed Height By-Law is enforced from April 1 through to November 1.  All properties not subject to the Weed Control Act must cut the grass and weeds on their property when it exceeds 20 centimetres or 8 inches.

What is the Role of the Public Works Department?

  • If a property is in violation, a notice of infraction under the Long Grass and Weed Height By-Law will be issued to the property owner, allowing 3 days to make the premises conform to the requirements.
  • If the property is still in violation after the 3-day period, Public Works will arrange to have the property cut. All costs and an administration fee for each cut will be charged against the land in taxes as stated in the by-law.
  • Only one notice per property, per year, is given. For further violations in the year, Public Works will proceed straight to a property cut.

Need to report a violation? Create a Service Request online anytime!

Report a Problem

Request an appeal

You can appeal a by-law enforcement decision by completing the form on the back of your notice of infraction. A request for an appeal hearing must be submitted within 30 calendar days along with the appeal fee. Please submit the form to the Clerk's office by emailing You will be contacted by the clerk's office when your hearing date has been scheduled.

Roadside Spraying Program

The Municipality of Chatham-Kent employs the services of a licensed contractor to apply pesticides to control noxious weeds along rural area roadsides on an annual basis. Application will be weather permitting and confined to weed-infested portions of the municipal right of way between May and October.

Detailed information, including a map of the specific spray locations, is available by contacting the Chatham-Kent Public Works Department by phoning 311 (1-800-714-7497 if outside the Municipality of Chatham-Kent) or emailing

Municipal Property & Public Parks

The Municipality contracts out urban grass-cutting services for our municipal parks and properties. If you notice a municipal park or property that requires attention due to weeds and long grass call 519-360-1998 or submit a service request online.

Maps & Pictures Program

This program provides an overview of municipal grass parcels located in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.

Please refer to the Maps & Pictures Program.

Do you have a question or concern? Call 519-360-1998 or email