Water Repairs

​There is approximately 1,314 km of municipal water mains and 3,120 hydrants throughout the Municipality. Public Works is responsible for maintaining and repairing the water distribution system.

Water Mains

A water main is an underground pipe that delivers potable water to the customer. If a hole or crack develops in the pipe, the water will typically find its way to the surface. Because the water main is under pressure, water will continue to flow until the break is repaired.  Please report water main breaks on municipal rights-of-way immediately at 519-360-1998.

Hydrant Flushing

Hydrant flushing is a preventative maintenance measure that helps to remove sediment from our municipal water mains. Public Works places notices for scheduled hydrant flushing in local newspapers. Hydrant flushing may result in short-term periods of cloudy water. If this occurs, please run your cold water until it runs clear.

Private Property

Public Works jurisdiction stops at the property line. The property owner is responsible for repairs to the water line on private property. For issues such as water shut-off, meter repairs, billing, etc. please contact Entegrus at 519-352-6300.

How do I hook up to the service?

Visit the Building Department at the Chatham Civic Centre to apply for a New Water Service Installation Permit (not available online). Please keep in mind that fees differ from area to area.