Use this subsidy calculator to determine your estimated monthly parental contribution amount for child care fee assistance. Do not include a "$" sign when you enter any number/figures.
You will need your Notice of Assessment/Reassessment (NOA) to be able to apply for subsidy. If you do not have your NOA, please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.
Please enter the amount as shown on line 236 from the NOA for the last tax year below for you and your partner if applicable.
Am I eligible?
You may be eligible to apply for financial assistance if:
- You are living in Chatham-Kent, and
- You have confirmed that a space is available for your child at a licensed child care centre, a home-care provider with a licensed child care agency or a registered High Five Recreation Program that has a Purchase of Service Agreement with the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, and
- You are the child's parent, kinship care, or legal guardian and the child is living with you, and
- You have filed a Federal Tax Return and have a Notice of Assessment from the most recent tax year, and
- You are working and/or attending school, or
- Your child has been referred by a professional that has completed the
Chatham-Kent Therapeutic Referral Form. An approved referring agency may be a doctor, nurse practitioner, speech therapist or other early intervention professionals who are currently working with you or your child, or
- The parent's doctor/specialist has submitted a
Chatham-Kent Therapeutic Referral Form indicating the parent's need for licensed child care.
Steps to Apply for Child Care Subsidy
Note: You cannot apply for Child Care Subsidy until you have been given a space at a licensed child care centre, licensed home care or are registering for an authorized camp program with the 3 contracted agencies as indicated above.
- Apply for child care through the
Chatham-Kent Child Care and Supports Registry and check 'yes' for child care subsidy.
- When your child has been placed at a licensed child care provider, our client and systems support staff will start the intake process of your child care subsidy application and collect all the necessary documents specific to your circumstances.
- You will be sent via email a Consent form that will be required to be signed by both applicants before any information is gathered. Once all the necessary documents have been submitted, an appointment with a case manager will be booked to complete the application.
- Attend the appointment with the case manager to review your application and complete the income test to determine if you are eligible for subsidy and how much financial assistance will be provided. Currently, all applications will be done over the phone due to COVID-19 restrictions.
Completing the Child Care Subsidy Application
A Case Manager will contact you to schedule the application appointment after we have all of your documents. Your subsidy will not start until your application is complete and the required documents have been submitted, verified, signed and completed. You are responsible to pay for child care that you schedule or use before you have your subsidy approval.
Documents Needed for Child Care Subsidy Applications
This is a general overview of documents that are required for the Child Care Subsidy application.
Your specific circumstances may require a selection of documents listed below. Please refer to your email from
firstname.lastname@example.org for your required documents. Your Child Care Subsidy Application appointment for financial assistance cannot be scheduled until all required documents are received.
The full cost of child care is the parent's responsibility until the Child Care Subsidy application is complete.
Documents submitted must be recent within the last 3 months.
If your marital status is married/common-law, we require these documents from both adults in the household.
Contract for Child Care Subsidy
At the time of application, annual review or other updates, you will receive a parental agreement contract for your subsidy. Your case manager will review the agreement and you will be required to sign and return the agreement before subsidy starts. By signing this contract, you agree to follow the policies of the fee subsidy program. These policies will be reviewed during your subsidy appointment. Refer to our Child Care Subsidy Parent Handbook for additional information.
The parental agreement shows the start and end date of subsidy, your parent rate, and the children for which subsidy has been approved. You will also receive a copy of the Child Care Subsidy Approval Form that is sent to each child care centre you are enrolled at. The Child Care Subsidy Approval Form has specific details about the amount of your parental contribution, the number of days approved, and the end date for your child's placement at that child care location.
You will receive a copy for your records of both forms. While receiving subsidy, if the terms of this contract change, your agreement and approval form will be updated.