The Integrity Commissioner will be responsible for ensuring compliance with the municipal Code of Conduct for Members of Council.
The Integrity Commissioner/ Closed Meeting Investigator will report to Council directly and be responsible for ensuring compliance to The Municipal Code of Conduct for Members of Council and conducting investigations as requested by the Municipality into the actions of Council members in an independent and impartial manner.
Council approved the appointment of an Integrity Commissioner whose responsibilities are as follows:
- Investigate complaints and alleged breaches of the Code of Conduct for Members of Council.
- Review the Code of Conduct for Members of Council and make recommendations on an annual basis.
- Serve as an advisor to individual Members of Council in relation to the Code of Conduct and any procedures, rules and policies of the municipality governing ethical behaviour, and act as a proactive educator for Council, the Civic Administration and the public.
- Provide reports to Council, summarizing activities.
- Provide individual investigative reports, as required, which will include background concerning a complaint and recommendations to Municipal Council with respect to a complaint
Separate from the Integrity Commissioner, the Municipality also has a Closed Meeting Investigator who is responsible for investigating public complaints that a meeting held in closed session by Council or one of its Committees did not comply with the topics permitted by the Municipal Act.
The newly appointed Integrity Commissioner and Closed Meeting Investigator is Suzanne Craig, SC Consulting. Suzanne was appointed by Council as the Integrity Commissioner for a 2-year period from November 26, 2023 to November 26, 2025.
SC Consulting is a professional consultant that since 2008 has served as the Integrity Commissioner, Closed Meeting Investigator, Lobbyist Registrar and provided general ethics, governance and human rights training to over 30 municipal organizations. Suzanne Craig operates SC Consulting. She is a recognized expert in the area of municipal and provincial government regulations, statutes and Codes of Conduct. She has extensive experience in and has conducted investigations, provided education sessions and assisted in policy development in respect of municipal codes of conduct, workplace harassment and discrimination, closed meetings and human rights.
For more information see link to SC Consulting – Suzanne Craig
Organization Development - Integrity Commissioner | SC Consulting (suzannecraig.com)
To Contact Integrity Commissioner Suzanne Craig:
Contact Email: email@example.com
Integrity Commissioner Reports