The Chatham-Kent Public Utilities Commission (PUC) is a local board of the Chatham-Kent Council and functions as regional water and wastewater utility.
Responsibilities of the PUC include treatment and delivery of safe drinking water, as well as the collection and treatment of wastewater. The Ontario water and wastewater industry is heavily regulated with compliance to both Provincial and Federal regulations being of utmost importance.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
When should I call?
- Concerns with water quality (i.e. discoloured, taste and odour concerns)
- Water and wastewater rates
- Purchase a water meter (meters can also be purchased at any Chatham-Kent Municipal Centre)
- Petition for a water line extension
- New water service inquiries
- Confirmation of lot servicing (water, sanitary and storm sewers)
- Questions concerning DWQMS (Drinking Water Quality Management Standards)
Who to call?
- Water locates - One Call at 1-800-400-2255
- Water meter issues (installation, reading, leaking, outside reading device), water/sewer billing inquiries, request to have the water turned on/shut off - Entegrus at 519-352-6300
- Water main break, sewer back-up, sewer connection - Public Works Department at 519-360-1998
- Boil Water Notifications - contact Public Health at 519-355-1071 (after hours 1-866-446-8207)
- Water Line Assessment Notices and Assessment/Local Improvement payouts - Municipal Tax Department at 519-360-1998
- 5 water treatment plants with distribution systems
- 1 stand-alone water distribution system
- Approximately 1,710 km of water mains, 3,321 hydrants and 39,636 water customer connections
- 10 elevated water tanks
- 9 reservoirs
- 7 wastewater treatment plants/collection systems
- 2 sewage lagoon systems/collection systems
- Approximately 533 km of sanitary sewers, 50 km of combined sewers and 29,493 wastewater customer connections
- 57 sanitary pumping stations
Public Utilities Meetings
Regular monthly meetings of the Chatham-Kent Public Utilities Commission are tentatively set for the third Thursday of each month, commencing at the hour of 3:00 pm, unless otherwise ordered by a Board Resolution. Closed session meetings begin immediately after regular meetings of the Commission. The administration will prepare the agenda monthly.
By-law Notice - Rates and Fees
For meeting agendas and minutes visit our Committees of Council page and choose "Public Utilities Commission" in the dropdown. For more information call 519-436-0119 or email