Rehabilitation and Improvement Project
The Chatham-Kent Public Utilities Commission (CK PUC) is initiating the rehabilitation and maintenance improvements to the Mitchell's Bay Elevated Storage Tank, located at 2 Park Street in the Community of Mitchell's Bay.
The Mitchell's Bay Elevated Storage Tank was originally constructed in 1994 and is owned and operated by CKPUC. As a major component of the Mitchell's Bay Water Supply and Distribution System, the elevated tank's key functions are to:
- Equalize system pressures during high water demands and minimize pumping requirements
- Provide water storage for firefighting capabilities
- Meet emergency demands in the system
About the Project
Several improvements and miscellaneous upgrades to the Mitchell's Bay Elevated Storage Tank are required to increase the reliability of the tank and its functionality for the next 20-plus years. The required works include the following:
- Complete removal and replacement of the interior and exterior coatings of the tank
- Installation of additional health and safety features to a code-compliant guardrail system on the tank roof
- Installation of a hydrodynamic mixing system inside the tank to improve water age and chlorine residuals
- Upgrades to the lighting system, and
- Minor upgrades to the process mechanical equipment within the base of the structure.
What is Expected to Happen While the Tank is Rehabilitated?
Completion of some of the major rehabilitation and improvement works will require the Mitchell's Bay Elevated Storage Tank to be taken out of service. The tank is expected to be out of service for a period of 14 to 16 weeks (without any service interruptions) ; however, this may change depending on the weather conditions.
To safely complete the removal and replacement of the exterior coating, a scaffolding system will be installed and the tank will be enclosed by shrouding. The shrouding will protect the surrounding environment and properties by containing all blast media and coating overspray during the upgrade work. The pictures below were taken during the rehabilitation of the Wallaceburg Elevated Tank in 2022 and illustrate some of the major activities that will take place during the rehabilitation of the Mitchell's Bay Elevated Tank.
Engineer: CIMA+ Kitchener, ON
Contractor: Landmark Municipal Services UL