There are many great reasons to volunteer. You may want to volunteer for a not-for-profit organization if you care passionately about its objectives, or for a children's program that your children enjoy. Beyond helping a cause you care about, volunteering also comes with many personal rewards and benefits, such as:
- Building job-related skills and work experience
- Developing your social and professional network
- Getting to know the community better
Ways to volunteer
Community groups and organisations often require volunteers to fulfill a number of different roles. Visit the United Way of Chatham-Kent for help being connected to volunteer opportunities, or connect directly with an organization you are interested in.
Common volunteer tasks include:
- Teaching, coaching, tutoring or mentoring
- Event planning
- Acting as a board member
- Providing administrative assistance
- Canvassing or fundraising
If you are new to Canada and looking to volunteer for the first time, Volunteer Canada has created a guide to help prepare you for your volunteer experiences. The guide can be found here.