Chatham-Kent Tourism is handing out FREE Tourism Operator Covid-19 Tool Kits. For more information, visit the Covid Tool Kid Page.
Chatham-Kent Tourism is supporting the directives of the Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit and the Governments of Canada and Ontario through precautionary measures and enhanced monitoring of the workplace due to Covid-19. For personal health and safety our tourism office is closed to the public, but travel counsellors are still able to assist with your inquiries. You can call us 1-800-561-6125 or email
firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to follow us on
Facebook and Twitter @visitck as well as @visitchathamkent on Instagram. Chatham-Kent is currently in Stage 3 of the Province's Reopening Ontario framework.
Some attractions, such as live music and theatre venues remain closed. For the most up to date information on Covid-19 in Chatham-Kent, please contact the
Chatham-Kent Public Health Unit. Here you will find information for everything from preventing the spread of Covid-19 in your own workplace to what's open and closed. You can also find more information for workplaces here.
Mandatory Mask By-Law
Chatham-Kent Council has passed a by-law to make the wearing of masks in indoor public spaces mandatory as of 12:01 am, August 14, 2020.
Covid-19 Business Resources
Economic Recovery Task Force - In April, 2020, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent assisted with the creation of this entity, co-chaired by Michael Grail and Rocky Gaudrault. Here you will find information on the nine sector sub-committees, reports to council and more.
Employment and Workforce - The government of Ontario has released a variety of programs to help residents impacted by Covid-19 get back to work. Here you will find information on things like Small Business Wage Subsidies, Work Sharing Programs, and more.
Supplies - There are many Chatham-Kent businesses who supply personal protective equipment (PPE) and related services, including professional cleaning and disinfecting. The province of Ontario has also released a directory of where to source PPE.
SWOTC Covid-19 Tourism Operator Resources
JUST ANNOUNCED - Safe Opening Expense Reimbursement - Apply Tuesday, September 15
Applications for the 'Safe Opening Program' will be accepted starting Tuesday, September 15th at 10am only, and will be granted on a first come, first served basis. Review the below - then set a reminder now for your chance to be reimbursed for some of your PPE expenses.
Ontario Southwest (RTO 1) may reimburse you a maximum of $1000.00 (pre-tax) towards items that were purchased to meet safety requirements to allow the safe re-opening of your business.
- Reimbursement will be retroactive to April 1, 2020 and can be applied to things like:
- Physical distancing (signs, plexiglass, etc.)
- Technology upgrades supporting touch-less service
- Increased cleaning and sanitation
- Other requirements as outlined in 'A Framework for Reopening our Province'
The intake process will be on a "First Come, First Served" basis until the budget is reached. If you miss out this time around, there will be another intake in December 2020. Each business will only be reimbursed one time. Click here for submission form and more details.
There are many resources available for tourism operators to tap into through the Southwestern Ontario Tourism Corporation (SWOTC).
Here you will find things like...
- access to released safety guidelines to protect workers, customers and the general public as we continue a gradual reopening of the provincial economy
- a tourism workforce recovery toolkit with the goal of helping operators rebound from the crisis
- the Ontario Restaurant Hotel & Motel Association (ORHMA) resource site for reopening restaurants and creating guest confidence and comfort
- federal and provincial Covid-19 loans, grants and toolkits available
- information on Ontario Live - MusicTogether, a place to put on virtual performances and get paid
You can also learn more about SWOTC's E-commerce support program, photo bank building program, tips for hosting live online experiences, and much more