Job Searching for Newcomers

Newcomers to Canada need to take several steps before entering  the workforce:

  • Obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN): In order to work in Canada, all temporary residents, permanent residents, and citizens must hold a SIN. The application process should be a priority for all newcomers before they begin their job search.
  • Language Evaluation: If English is not your first language, you might be eligible for language instruction programs. In Chatham-Kent, Adult Language and Learning provides language instruction, ESL classes, and pre-employment programs for newcomers.
  • Accreditation: Having your educational and professional credentials recognized in Canada will help you in your search for a job.

Job Search Resources

The job search process can be long and frustrating, but there are many programs and organizations in Chatham-Kent that can help. You are not alone in your job hunt! 

The Municipality of Chatham-Kent's Employment Resource Centres offer career counseling, training, and job search assistance. Staff will help you update your résumé and cover letter, prepare you for interviews, and provide you with information about the local job market. You can also receive information about colleges, universities and apprenticeship opportunities, which can help you develop a better skill set and résumé. Best of all, the services are free.

  • Wallaceburg Employment Resource Centre
    786 Dufferin Ave. 2nd Floor
    Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2V3
    Phone: 519.627.6986
    Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm
  • Chatham Employment Resource Centre
    240 King Street West
    Chatham, ON N7M 1E7
    Phone: 519.436.1123
    Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm

Other programs and organisations to help local job seekers include:


If you are new to Canada, the accreditation of your international education is a very important first step. Having your credentials evaluated will help Canadian employers, educational institutions and professional licensing bodies recognize them properly. You can begin this process even before you come to Canada, which is highly recommended.

Credential Evaluation Organizations

In order to have your credentials recognized in Ontario, it is important to have them evaluated through accreditation. Ontario’s authorized credential evaluation organizations are:

The Internationally Trained Worker (ITW) Loan Program

To assist with the costs of accreditation, the Access Centre created the Internationally Trained Worker Loan Program (Loan Program). The loan operates as a flexible line of credit to assist with covering the direct and indirect costs related to foreign credential recognition. The loan may also help with other expenses related to helping ITWs achieve employment that reflects their international education, skills and experience. 
Expenses covered by the Loan Program include:
  • Qualification assessment
  • Exam and Licensure fees
  • Tuition fees for training and skills upgrading
  • Books and course materials
  • Professional association fees
  • Other costs relating to obtaining accreditation/training as required
  • Other Resources
The following resources can also help you get your credentials properly recognized:

Occupational Health and Safety

As a worker, you have the right to:

  • Know about workplace hazards
  • Refuse unsafe work
  • Participate in addressing workplace health and safety issues 

According to the terms of the Act, employers must:

  • Provide basic health and safety awareness training to workers
  • Provide information, instruction and supervision to workers on how to work safely
  • Protect workers from being hurt or getting a work-related illness

Ontario's Ministry of Labour has developed a series of training tools to help you learn more about your right to a safe work environment. Visit the website to access training sessions and information in several different languages.

If you would like to report a Health and Safety incident, call the Health and Safety Contact Centre toll-free at 1.877.202.0008. For more information about Employment Standards (wages, vacations and claims), call 1.800.531.5551.