As you look forward to relocating, we want to help you feel as confident and comfortable as possible. Please use the following checklist to help you prepare for your move to Chatham-Kent.
1. Check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Website for a list important documents for your move to Canada
2. Visit the Settlement.org on What documents should I bring with me when landing in Canada as a new immigrant?
3. Save enough money to cover living expenses, such as housing, utilities, food and transportation costs, for up to six months
4. Pack clothes for the weather. Take into account the season you will be travelling in.
5. Arrange a temporary place to stay for your first few nights in Chatham-Kent.
6. Look for a job in your field, and try to arrange interviews with potential employers.
7. Look into having your foreign credentials recognized in Canada. If possible, have the following work-related documents translated into English or French: a résumé of your education, driver’s license, work and volunteer experience, skills and qualifications; diplomas, degrees, certificates and other proof of qualifications; school records or transcripts; and letters of recommendation.
8. Learn as much English or French as possible.
The following resources will help prepare you for your entry into Canada:
Other Newcomer Resources
The following resources may help you during your first month in Canada: