Ride CK and the Municipality of Chatham-Kent is committed to the continuous development of accessible public transit services and the elimination of barriers for those with a disability.
The following information outlines the accessibility features of our transit system:
- All Ride CK conventional and specialized service transit vehicles are low-floor accessible. Ramps can be deployed by the Operator upon request for easier boarding;
- Priority and courtesy seating is available on all conventional transit vehicles for those with a disability, or for those who would benefit from having a seat near the front door of the vehicle. Please see our
Priority Seating Policy for more detail;
- All Ride CK conventional transit vehicles are equipped with a system that announces the next approaching bus stop both visually and audibly;
- Not all Ride CK bus stops are accessible. When a stop is not accessible, the Operator will allow passengers to board and disembark transit vehicles at a safe location close to the bus stop;
Service animals and guide dogs are welcome on Ride CK transit vehicles. You are responsible for your service animal at all times. The Operator may ask you to provide documentation from a health care professional stating that your service animal is needed due to your disability.
Passengers who use a mobility device – such as wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, and crutches – are welcome on Ride CK transit vehicles. Each vehicle may have varying methods of securement and placement for your mobility device. Lap, shoulder belts, and tie-downs must be used per the manufacturer's specification. The Operator will ensure your mobility device is properly secured before departing.
Some mobility devices cannot be accommodated on transit vehicles due to their size. Ride CK vehicles can accommodate mobility devices that do not exceed 76 cm (30 inches) in width, 106 cm (42 inches) in length, and the combined weight of a passenger and device must not exceed 272 kg (600 lbs).
Please note that the turning radius of scooters may also impact your ability to easily access and manoeuvre on transit vehicles. A passenger must be able to maneuver their mobility device independently.
Mobility devices must:
- Have properly inflated tires
- Have working brakes and apply brakes while the vehicle is in motion
- Have proper securement tie-downs and seatbelts
Passengers travelling on a scooter must transfer to a bus seat before the transit vehicle will depart. Passengers are not permitted to sit in their transport chair – excluding wheelchairs – or their walker while travelling on a transit vehicle.
The Operator will determine whether or not your mobility device can be permitted on board a transit vehicle without risking safety to you or other passengers. Please remove flags and store parcels away from the securement locations of your mobility device. Do not overload the mobility device with parcels. Please note device customizations may impact the ability of the Operator to properly secure your device according to legislative and manufacturer's specifications.
If you have any questions about the ability for your mobility device to be accommodated on Ride CK transit vehicles please contact 519-436-3233.
Individuals who are unable to use the Ride CK conventional service due to their disability may qualify for curb-to-curb specialized transit. Please visit our
Specialized Transit FAQ page for more information.