Skip to main page content
Skip Navigation LinksEconomic Development > Small Business Centre > Growing Your Business

Hiring Employees

Ready to hire extra help but not sure about the rules on taxation, contributions and deductions? Can you afford it? There are many employment incentive programs available to businesses in Chatham-Kent. 

Contact the following agencies when you hire employees to make certain you are following the necessary regulations for employment:

  • Employer Health Tax (EHT)
  • Occupational Health & Safety
  • Ontario Ministry of Labour - Employment Standards
  • Payroll Deductions
  • Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)

Employer Health Tax (EHT)

Eligible employers do not pay tax on the first $400,000 of annual Ontario payroll. If you are associated with another employer, you have to share the tax exemption.

Ministry of Revenue Windsor Tax Office
103-215 Eugenie Street West
Windsor, ON N8X 2X7

Occupational Health & Safety

Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Employers are required to post a copy of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in their workplaces.

The act is available:

Health and Safety Policy - The OHSA also requires employers to prepare and review, at least once a year, a written occupational health and safety policy, and to develop and maintain a program to implement that policy. The policy must be posted in the workplace.

The Guide to the Occupational Health and Safety Act has detailed information about how to prepare a health and safety policy. It is available:

Ontario Ministry of Labour - Employment Standards

Under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA), employers must post the most recent version of the Minister of Labour's poster, "What You Should Know About The Ontario Employment Standards Act", in at least one location in the workplace where it is likely to be seen by employees.

It is also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Employment Standards Act.

Copies of the poster must be on legal-size (8 ½" X 14") paper and can be obtained:

  • Free from the Chatham-Kent Small Business Centre. 
  • Free for download from the Ministry of Labour's website at
  • For the cost of shipping and handling, from Service Ontario Publications, 1-800-668-9938.

Payroll Deductions

If you have employees, you are responsible for the calculation and remittance of Income Tax, Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan contributions. Payroll deductions tables are also available on CD or in paper format at the Chatham-Kent Small Business Centre.

Canada Revenue Agency (Windsor Office)
Find payroll information on the CRA Website.

Workplace Safety & Insurance Board (WSIB)

If you employ people in Ontario (including family members and part-time), you are required to register with WSIB within 10 days of their hiring date. If you do not register with WSIB, financial and legal penalties may apply.

WSIB works much like car insurance. Premiums will depend on the type of business you are operating (risk), the size of your payroll, and your company's previous health and safety record. You cannot make an employee pay the cost of workplace safety insurance premiums or deduct it from their pay.

For more information, or to register for WSIB, contact:

WSIB (Windsor Office)

In Case of Injury: The Workplace Safety and Insurance Act (WSIA) also requires employers to display a poster entitled "In Case of Injury—1234" in their workplace. The "In Case of Injury—1234" poster is free of charge:

  • From the WSIB website (available in 7"x 9")
  • By phoning the WSIB at 1-800-663-6639 (size 11" x 17" or 18" x 24")