The Starter Company Plus Initiative provides free training, consultation and advice from our team of experts to help you get your business started and on the road to success in Chatham-Kent!
If you're starting, expanding or buying an existing business, you can apply for Starter Company Plus and receive free training, mentorship and the opportunity to apply for a business grant up to $5000.
About the Grant
Upon completion of mandatory training via webinar, applicants that pursue the $5000 grant are required to submit a viable, sales ready business plan and engage in follow up consultations for a minimum of 3 months. Starter Company Plus is a competitive program and all eligible applicants may not be selected. If you are successful in applying for the grant, the expenses must be approved and receipts must be provided. To qualify for a grant, you must be able to make a contribution in cash or in kind. It has to be for least 25% of the grant amount.
Who can apply
- 18 years of age or older at the time of application
- Proposing a new company, expansion of an existing company or buying a business in Ontario
- Not attending school full time nor returning to school
- Be a resident of Ontario
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have not previously participated in the Starter Company Plus program
- Not enrolled in other provincial employment or self-employment related programs that include or do not include financial assistance*
- Not currently enrolled concurrently in any self-employment or entrepreneurship training/financing programs offered by government funded organizations*
* Some exceptions may apply relating to COVID-19
Business or Proposed Business must:
- Be an independent, for profit business venture based in Chatham-Kent
- Not be a business that relies on commissioned sales (MLM)
- Be a legal business in Ontario
- Not be a franchise
- Operate at arm's length from family business ventures
- Operate full-time as defined in the business plan
- Have a Master Business License or Articles of Incorporation, or register the business prior to launch
- Maintain a business banking account
- Follow all government rules and regulations and applicable by-laws for the operation of the business
- Demonstrate a viable and sales ready business plan at the time of funding
To apply for the next Starter Company Plus group, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-351-7700 for more information.