Inducted: November 29, 1989
T.L. Pardo developed one of the first "model farms" in Kent County, offering an example of productive and efficient agriculture to the community.
Mr. Pardo was born on the homestead farm in south Raleigh Township; and attended a log schoolhouse until he went on to winter classes at R.J. Morrison's School on the Middle Road. Mr. Morrison came to Kent County from the United States where one of his pupils was James Garfield, a future United States President.
Mr. Pardo developed his "model farm", a showplace for the farming community, on a 200-acre property once owned by the United Empire Loyalist family of his mother, Rachel Hughson. This was part of a government grant received from Colonel Talbot.
Mr. Pardo employed as many as 40 people on the 1,575 acres he eventually farmed along Lake Erie in Raleigh Township. They worked in the winter in his sawmill, with its barrel and stave manufacturing section.
Mr. Pardo also had flour milling interests and a concrete block and agricultural concrete tile plant on the lakeshore at Erie Beach. Corn grown for cattle feed on his farm was ensiled in tower silos built of his special concrete silo blocks.
The Pardo operation was noted for its fine draft horses and a very competent staff of teamsters.
Mr. Pardo was elected Liberal member for the Kent West riding in the Ontario Legislature in 1894, and served with distinction for many years.
He was a grandson of John Pardo, a native of England who fought with the British Army at the Battle of Bunker Hill. John Pardo received a grant of land in Essex County; but his son, Thomas, born in Colchester in 1799, received a land grant at the age of 17 in Raleigh Township.