Inducted: November 29, 1989
Alden McLean was 23 when he became the President of the Ontario United Farm Young People, the first of many leadership positions he has taken for the betterment of agriculture.
Mr. McLean was born near Duart in Orford Township and was educated there and at Ridgetown. From the first, he has been actively involved in organizations to improve the position of farmers.
Mr. McLean has been a supporter of Co-Operatives; first as a Director of the Orford Farmers' Co-Operative from 1937-1960, and as its Secretary from 1947-1956 and from 1963-1980. He was a Director of the United Co-Operatives of Ontario from 1948-1962 and its President from 1957-1960.
Mr. McLean was instrumental in the establishment of the U.C.O. Grain Marketing Division in Chatham in the 1950s. He represented U.C.O. on the Ontario Federation of Agriculture executive.
His service to Co-Operatives included the Vice-Presidency of Inter-Provincial Co-operatives from 1957-1960.
Mr. McLean has had a deep commitment to organized marketing of farm commodities. He served as a member of the Ontario Farm Products' Marketing Board from 1962-1966; and as a Director of the Ontario Bean Producers' Marketing Board from 1967 until 1971.
He has had a long association with the Ontario Agricultural College, as a resource person from the Co-Operatives at marketing seminars in the 1950s and as the donor of scholarships to the Ontario Agricultural College and the Ontario Veterinary College for high-ranking students at Ridgetown High School.
Mr. McLean was a member and Director of the Kent Federation of Agriculture and received its Meritorious Award in 1979. He received the Ontario Agricultural College Centennial Award in 1974 and was designated the Chatham and District Chamber of Commerce Agriculturalist of the Year in 1983. In 1988, he received the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food Centennial Award. He also received the Outstanding Pork Producer Award at the Ontario Pork Congress.
He was named an Honorary Life Member of the Ontario Institute of Agrologists in 1985.