Inducted: November 29, 1989
Margaret MacDougall was still driving her car at the age of 91, displaying the indomitable spirit that enabled her to make a significant contribution to rural life over a busy and productive lifetime.
Mrs. MacDougall was born in Howard Township and received her early education there. After graduation from London Normal School, she and two friends, Myrtle Shaw and Myrtle Childs, went to Fort William to teach. This phase of her life ended in 1925 with her marriage to Floren MacDougall and her return to a Howard Township farm.
Mrs. MacDougall's participation in the Women's Institute and the Ridgetown Agricultural Society grew over the years, as she and her husband became both contributors and officials for the Ridgetown Fair. She was Convenor of the School Exhibits Division from 1952-1967, and encouraged the participation of rural young people.
Mrs. MacDougall was Convenor of Arts and Crafts from 1968-1976, and continued to assist the Arts Committee until 1985. She was Vice-President of the Ladies' Division in 1963, and President in 1964-1965. From 1964-1968, she served as a Director of the Ridgetown Agricultural Society.
Mrs. MacDougall was President of District 9 of the Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies twice; and in November, 1978, received a silver brooch recognizing her 45 years of service to the Ridgetown Fair. She and her husband received an Agricultural Service of Merit Award at the Fair in 1971. She was a popular judge at area fall fairs.
Mrs. MacDougall was equally active in the Women's Institute; and instrumental in the establishment of the Southwest Area organization. She was District President from 1944-1946, and a Provincial Board member in 1947-1948; and is a Kent East District life member.
Mrs. MacDougall was one of the prime movers in 1949 of the original medical care plan in the East Kent area known as the Kent Co-operative Medical Services, which was a forerunner of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan.
Mrs. MacDougall returned to teaching and taught at Moraviantown, Zone Township S.S. No.5 and at Vosburg, her last school before retirement. She was instrumental in the introduction of music in rural schools.
Mrs. MacDougall received a Provincial Bicentennial Award in 1984 at Sarnia, recognizing her contributions to young people and the community.