Inducted: November 29, 1989
Herbert Lee had a good eye for cattle and sheep, as both an exhibitor and a judge, at competitions in Canada and the United States.
Mr. Lee's father was "Big John" Lee, Warden of Kent County in 1875 and an M.P.P. for East Kent, who imported registered Lincoln sheep from England in 1891. The Lee Family owned as farm land, clergy reserve acreage purchased by Herbert's grandfather, John Lee, "on the high land just south of Highgate" in Orford Township in 1830.
Mr. Lee became one of North America's top authorities on the Lincoln sheep breed. The Leeland Farms' show flock was exhibited at all the major shows including the "International" at Chicago from 1910 until it was discontinued. Mr. Lee was also a judge there.
His two sons, John and George, have carried on the family tradition exhibiting at the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto without a miss since its beginning in 1919.
Leeland Farms' Shorthorn cattle, exhibited widely, were recognized as among the best.
Mr. and Mrs. Lee were honoured by 600 at a testimonial dinner in 1951, sponsored by the Howard and Orford Agricultural Societies and the Tri-County Shorthorn Club. Dr. W.R. Reek, a retired President of the Ontario Agricultural College and a former Ontario Deputy Minister of Agriculture, was guest speaker at the event; and a portrait of Mr. Lee was accepted by Prof. J.C. Steckley and
hung in the Ridgetown Agricultural School, later known as the Ridgetown College of Agricultural Technology.