Roadside Drainage

roadside drainage in a residential area

Municipal Drains are the responsibility of the Drainage Department; however, the Public Works Department does clean roadside drainage ditches.

Requests for Cleaning or Repairing Roadside Ditches

Any requests for cleaning or repairing roadside ditches must meet the guidelines set out in the Municipal Policy Regarding Roadside Ditching (see download). The property owner and the Public Works Department usually split the cleaning costs 50/50.

Do I need a Permit for Enclosing or Installing a Ditch?

You must complete the Enclosure Permit Application (see downloads), which we will forward to the applicable Road Supervisor for their approval. There is no fee to enclose a ditch.

Do you have a question or concern? Call 519.360.1998 or e-mail us at