How close can I plant trees to my municipal drain?

Windbreaks are not to be planted in the working corridor outlined in the last engineer’s report. Individual hardwood trees may be allowed every 100 feet. Trees of any type shall not be planted within 25’ of an existing tile drain (solid tile, wrap joints) or 35’ from existing open drain. In certain circumstances where an owner owns property on both sides of the open drain, upon consultation with the Drainage Superintendent, a windbreak may be permitted on one side. On existing drains where windbreaks exist, costs due to trucking material will be the direct responsibility of the owner and not the upstream ratepayers.

I want to install a new access culvert over a municipal drain? What are the guidelines?

In 1997, the Transition Board for the Municipality of Chatham-Kent adopted a report from the Drainage/Environmental Task Force which included the following:

  • Clause 5(l) – Culvert installations will have a minimum 20 foot driveable top width and be designed accordingly in any Engineer’s report.  Any request and subsequent additional cost for top width beyond that recommended by the Engineer will be assessed solely against the property owner initiating the request.

  • Clause 5(m) – The Engineer, when developing the assessment schedule for culvert installation, will be guided by the following recommended cost-sharing basis unless special circumstances dictate otherwise:

  • Replacement Culvert – 50% to landowner and 50% assessed to upstream lands

  • New Culvert – 75% to landowner and 25% assessed to upstream lands

  • Secondary Culvert (New or Maintenance) – 100% to landowner

I want to construct a pond.  What is the setback requirement?

Chatham-Kent Drainage Services requests that a minimum distance separation of at least 15.24 meters (50 feet) be left between the top of the bank of an open drain and the outside edge of a pond. The outside edge of the pond is to include a berm (soil placed around the pond) at the time of construction. The setback also applies to any municipal tile drain.  Banks of the pond should be dug with 2 to 1 slopes or flatter.

Can I outlet my private drain tile drain to a roadside ditch?

Roadside drainage systems constructed by the Road Authority are intended for roadside drainage purposes only. Drainage systems that outlet into road ditches, affect the road authority and ultimately the landowner, since the road authority has no responsibility in maintaining a sufficient outlet for the landowner.

If the roadside ditch is a municipal drain and you are assessed on it, then you are allowed to take your storm water to that drain. Call Drainage Services to find out if it is a municipal drain.