drain being dug

Municipal Drains

Municipal drains are funded by the properties that use the drain. The general levy does not fund this user pay system.

Drainage staff manages approximately 400 maintenance projects and 45 new capital construction projects each year.

All drainage work is legislated by the Provincial Drainage Act.

A one-third agricultural grant is available to all eligible farmlands to help with the cost of drainage repairs and capital projects through the Agricultural Drainage Infrastructure Program (ADIP) managed by the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).

Work is done within the guidelines established by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) and the Endangered Species Act as established by the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR).

The OMAFRA drainage website has more details on the Drainage Act and ADIP.

Five Drainage Superintendents, appointed by Council, supervise the drainage maintenance and construction projects in Chatham-Kent.

Who can I contact to see about repairing or improving a municipal drain?

Please call Drainage Services at 519.360.1998.  All work performed on a municipal drain requires authorization from the Drainage Superintendent assigned to your section of Chatham-Kent.

Maintenance Activities Performed Under an Existing Engineer's Report  May Include:

  • Brushing of banks
  • Bottom cleanout of sediment
  • Culvert repairs
  • Erosion control
  • Catch basin repairs
  • Tile flushing

Construction Activities Requiring an Engineer’s Report May Include:

  • Construction of new tile drains
  • Construction of new culverts
  • Realignment of open ditches
  • Wetland restoration projects
  • Excavation and brushing of open ditches