*Cemetery Office Closed To General Public*
March 20, 2020
The Cemetery Office is not open to general public at this time due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Operations Staff are able to provide customer service during regular business hours by telephone at 519-360-1998.
Lot Sales and Payments
Appointments for lot sales and payments must be scheduled in advance at the number above. All lot sale related meetings should be limited to two persons in attendance.
Geneological/Grave Location Enquiries
Please address the above enquiries via email at CKpch@chatham-kent.ca.
Burials will continue in cooperation with funeral service providers and held in accordance with the COVID-19 parameters established by the Public Health Unit. Payments can be arranged via telephone and documents can be left at your local Municipal Service Centre.
Chatham-Kent Cemeteries are the primary providers of public multi-optional burial site operations and maintenance within the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. The cemeteries, operating on a not-for-profit basis, deliver a limited range of services responsive to needs identified by the community.
Some of our historic properties are well known and frequently visited. Whether located adjacent to well-travelled roads or found well off the beaten path, these cemeteries are truly the history of our community and an important link to our past!
Generational Lot Use In Municipal Cemeteries
We can assist you with inquiries regarding generational grave use. If you would like to use heritage lots, or allow family/ friends to use your cemetery lots, contact us to learn more about facilitating the process. A complete explanation of requirements to use graves that you do not own or did not purchase can be found in the Interment Rights Policy which is available from the Cemetery Office. Every situation is unique, and you are advised to seek legal advice from a lawyer should you wish to use graves that you did not purchase.
A Note To Visitors Regarding Lot Care
PLEASE NOTE: Due to excessive rainfall this spring, we are experiencing difficulty with regular grass maintenance at times. Contractors are doing their best to keep up with grass growth during wet conditions. Thank you for your understanding.
To enhance the natural beauty and serenity of the cemetery grounds, we ask that you respect the following:
- Borders, fences, stones or crushed tile etc. on lots are not permitted to ensure efficient maintenance of the grounds, safety, and decorum
- Flower beds may extend one foot in front of upright monuments only and should not exceed the width of the upright base. Natural mulch may be placed within beds
- No structures are permitted on any cemetery lot (i.e. benches, statues, posts, wooden crosses)
- Glass containers are not permitted on the cemetery grounds
- Artificial memorials, standing wreaths and seasonal items may be placed on lots after November 1 and must be removed by April 1 to preserve the appearance of the grounds. Cemetery staff will remove any items remaining on lots after April 1 at their discretion
- All plantings of trees, shrubs, etc. must be approved by Cemetery Management