Every owner is responsible for their animal and is to ensure that it is not permitted to run at large. All owners are requested to have their animals vaccinated for rabies. Every dog shall have its annual dog tag purchased by March 31st of every year. A renewal invoice is sent out at the beginning of every year.
Where can Tags be purchased?
Tags can be purchased at the following locations:
- PAWR - 405 Park Ave. E., Chatham 226.996.9969 or online at https://pawr.org/shop/
- Civic Centre - 315 King St W, Chatham
- All Municipal Centres (Blenheim, Ridgetown, Dresden, Wallaceburg, Tilbury)
- All Library Centres (Bothwell, Merlin, Thamesville, Wheatley)
- Visit the Dog Tag page
The following tips can help you provide proper care for your pet:
- Puppies should receive their first rabies vaccination at the age of four (4) months, which is good for one (1) year.
- Some veterinarians administer rabies shots that are valid for up-to a three (3) year period. The animal has to be two (2) years of age.
- If a Veterinarian recommends an animal not receive the vaccination for health reasons, a note must be presented at the time of the dog tag purchase and the rabies certificate requirement will be waived.
- Spay and neuter your pets.
It pays to be a Responsible Pet Owner
Did you know that being an irresponsible pet owner can be costly? Dog owners found to be in violation of Chatham-Kent By-law 93-2015 may be subject to fines. If your dog is picked up by Animal Control, you will have to pay impounding and boarding fees.