Election FAQs

When is this year's Municipal Election? 

This year's Municipal Election will be held on Monday, October 24 from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm.

When are Advance Voting Days?

  • Thursday, October 13 from 1:00 pm to 7:00 pm
  • Friday, October 14 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
  • Saturday, October 15 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm

When will internet voting take place?

Internet voting will take place from Monday, October 3 at 10:00 am to Sunday, October 16 10:00 pm.

How can I receive email notifications regarding the Election?

You can keep up-to-date with Election news by subscribing to the email subscription list found at www.ckelection.com.

What is this election for?

Voters of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent will elect a Mayor, members of Municipal Council and School Board Trustees to represent them in this community for the next four years. The term of office for the new council is November 15, 2022 to November 14, 2026.

How do I find out if I am on the Voter's List?

Fact: Provincial/Federal voter's lists differ from Municipal Voter's list. Go to www.voterlookup.ca to check if you are a registered Chatham-Kent voter for the Municipal Election.

I added my name to the Voter's List during the last election? Why is my name not on the list?

The Municipal Property Assessment Coproration (MPAC) is responsible for preparing the preliminary list of electors used for municipal and school board elections in Ontario. All of the completed application forms are submitted to the MPAC for inclusion in the Voters' List. If you have specific questions about the compilation of the Voters' List you can contact MPAC at 1-800-296-6722 or visit their website at www.mpac.ca.

I have multiple properties within the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. Can I vote more than once?

No. You are only entitled to one vote, even if you have more than one property. If you live in one ward and have properties in other wards, you may only vote in the ward in which your primary residence is located.

What if I am a student and only live in Chatham-Kent while attending school?

If you are temporarily residing in Chatham-Kent while attending school,  you are allowed to vote if your name appears on the Voters' List. Students wishing to register as a voter in Chatham-Kent may come to a municipal centre where a customer service representative can add them to the list. Students will need to bring ID that contains their name and their Chatham-Kent address. You may also vote in the municipality where your permanent home is, provided that you have not abandoned the family home.

What will happen when I go to vote on Election Day?

Once inside the voting place, you will be directed to the next available election official, who will ask for your identification, locate your name on the Voters' List, cross your name off the list, and issue a ballot specific to your declared school support. They will review the instructions on the proper way to mark the ballot and direct you to a voting screen where you will mark your ballot. Once you have marked your ballot, you will take it to the Deputy Returning Officer and wait until your ballot has been processed through the vote tabulator and is deposited into the ballot baox. You will them promptly leave the voting place.

What should I take with me to vote?

When going to vote, be sure to have one of the following forms of identification:

  • An Ontario driver's licence.
  • An Ontario Photo Card.
  • An Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion).
  • A cancelled personalized cheque.
  • A mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario.
  • An insurance policy or insurance statement.
  • A loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution.
  • A document issued or certified by a court in Ontario.
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency of such a government.
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada).
  • An income tax assessment notice.
  • A Child Tax Benefit Statement.
  • A Statement of Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E.
  • A Statement of Old Age Security T4A (OAS).
  • A Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P).
  • A Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions.
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Works.
  • A Statement of Direct Deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • A Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007.
  • A property tax assessment.
  • A credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement.
  • A CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities.
  • A hospital card or record.
  • A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution.
  • A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home.
  • A utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission.
  • A cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer.
  • A transcript or report card from a post-secondary school.

What if I make a mistake when marking my ballot?

If you make a mistake or change your mind about which candidate you want to vote for, simply return the ballot to the Election Official. They will cancel the ballot and issue another one to you. If you have questions about how to properly mark the ballot, any of the Election Officials will be happy to explain it to you.

What if I am in line when the voting place closes?

If you are inside the voting place or in the line to vote prior to closing time at 8:00 pm, you will be allowed to vote.

How do I find my voting place?

The address of your assigned voting place will be on your Voter Information Card. The voting place will be identified by signage. In the case of a large voting place, such as a school or community centre, additional signs will be placed outside to direct you. If the accessible entrance is difference from the general entrance, special signage will direct you to the alternate entrance.

Where can I see the election results?

Soon after polls close at 8:00 pm on Election Day, local radio stations will begin to broadcast results. Results will also be posted on the www.ckelection.com website.