Wheatley Excavation Work Continues

As work continues in downtown Wheatley, residents who remain out of their homes following the August explosion are receiving gift baskets from the Municipality of Chatham-Kent and Entegrus.

More than 100 baskets are being delivered to the Village Resource Centre for distribution and pick up.

The baskets were prepared by Heidi’s Eats and Sweets and contained fruit, candy, chocolate and gift certificates from local businesses. Residents are being contacted by resource centre volunteers.

Chatham-Kent Mayor Darrin Canniff said, “nothing can replace being in your home during the holidays, but the gift is a heartfelt gesture while we continue to work toward resolving the issue.”

During a short pause in work Sunday, eight displaced residents were allowed back into their homes for a short period to retrieve personal effects.

Demolition of buildings at the site of the explosion has been completed. Excavation and pathway analysis are now taking place. While work is taking place, officials have deemed it unsafe for all non-essential personnel to be within the evacuated area.

Chatham-Kent General Manager of Infrastructure and Engineering Services Thomas Kelly said last week such analysis is a key factor in determining how the gas is reaching the surface.

The Municipality has been advised that some local residents detect a gas-like smell in the area.

The technical team has reviewed all on-site gas monitoring equipment, and there are no appreciable readings at this time.  It is possible that the currently ongoing construction activity and soil disturbance are most likely the sources of the smell.


For more information contact:

April Rietdyk
Acting Chief Administrative Officer
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
519-360-1998
aprilr@chatham-kent.ca

Media Contact:
Jim Blake
Communications Officer
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
519-360-1998 x 3624
jimbl@chatham-kent.ca