Pride Week 2021 began in Chatham-Kent today with a flag raising at the Dresden Town Hall and at the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre. This year marks the 20th anniversary of Pride flag raisings in CK.
Marianne Willson of CK Pride said the annual event has been altered due to COVID-19 but the reasons behind it remain the same, to acknowledge and provide encouragement and support to the LGBTQ2S+ community.
This year will be composed of both in-person and virtual events with social distancing being required:
- Tuesday, August 17 at Art Space, 165 King Street West in Chatham, the window display will show “History of Pride”.
- Wednesday, August 18from 6 pm to midnight, the Chatham-Kent Public Library will host on their Facebook page Pride Trivia Night.
- Thursday, August 19, Chatham-Kent Children Services will hold “Pride in CK” BBQ from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm at 425 Grand Ave. West in Chatham.
- Friday, August 20, CK Pride presents a virtual Pride Drag Queen Show starting at 8 pm. Registration is required. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday, August 21, Chatham-Kent Public Library will host “Drag Queen Story time with Fay and Fluffy” at 10 am. Registration is required. To register, email email@example.com. Saturday night will be the CK Pride Bonfire from 8 pm to midnight with special guest Estella performing from 8 pm to 8:30 pm. Location is 21118 Base Road, Blenheim.
- Sunday, August 22, St. Andrews United Church will host a Sunday Pride Worship Service in person at 85 William Street South, Chatham and on their Facebook page.
Throughout the week, Willson said people are encouraged to share pictures and videos in support of CK Pride through social media, using the hashtag #ShareYourPrideCK.
Mayor Darrin Canniff said flying the rainbow flag emphasises the fact that Chatham-Kent is an inclusive community. “We want everyone to feel at home and comfortable in Chatham-Kent,” he said.
For details on events visit
For more information contact:
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
519-360-1998 x 3624
This communication is subject to the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Ontario) and/or Personal Health Information Protection Act (Ontario). This communication may be confidential. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.