Where we are
We have taken steps to make it easier for citizens to interact with council by easing regulations concerning delegations. We have made communication with municipal staff more fruitful through stronger customer service initiatives.
Where we want to be
We want citizens and staff to have easy access to as much information as possible about the activities and goals of municipal government.
Why it matters
A culture based on information sharing results in better decision-making thereby strengthening the community.
How we will get there
We will develop centralized communications strategies aimed at broadening our reach with Chatham-Kent residents. We will ensure staff members have clear understanding of our goals regarding public interaction. We will promote the number of delegations at council meetings. We will increase the ability of residents to interact via social media.
What we are going to work towards:
- Practice openness: as input from the public is valuable to assist council and administration in making decisions.
- Increase Transparency: as it keeps municipal government accountable to the public.
- Provide Visionary Leadership: as being a leader in good governance to better serve the needs of the residents.
How are we going to measure our progress:
What the Corporation of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent is planning on doing to achieve our goals:
A. Practice openness: as input from the public is valuable to assist council and administration in making decisions
- Improve communications within administration, the municipality and the community
- Emphasize the relationship between governance, community engagement and information, in support of better decision-making
- Provide open data on the municipal portal
- Promote deputations at council meetings
- Increase access to public information
- Commit to making decisions in open public council meetings
- Only meet in "closed to the public" when permitted by the Municipal Act and when it serves a purpose
B. Increase Transparency: as it keeps Municipal government accountable to the public.
- Council and administration will be accountable to the public
- Municipal government only exists to serve its people
- Post council and committee agendas and minutes on municipal portal
- Post expert reports on municipal
- Communicate information to the organization and the community
C. Provide Visionary Leadership: as being a leader in good governance to better serve the needs of the residents.
- Enterprise and courageous decision-making corporately and through out the community
- Work with management to ensure that all staff are working toward the same goals, with accountabilities for senior staff linked to Community Strategic Plan