Gavel on book

The Legal Services division provides legal services to the Municipal Council, administration, and local boards such as the Public Utilities Commission, Police Services Board, Entegrus and Library Board.

The Legal Services division includes the Provincial Offences Court located at 21633 Communication Road, R.R. #5 Blenheim, Chatham-Kent, ON, N0P 1A0. Phone: 519-352-8484.

For more information please visit the Provincial Offences Court page.

Do you provide legal advice to the public?

The Legal Services division cannot give advice regarding personal legal matters. The Legal Services division may only provide legal assistance to the Municipal Council, administration and local boards of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.

Is this Legal Aid?

No. Local Legal Aid offices are located at 146 Queen Street, Chatham (phone number 519-352-3518) and the Chatham Courthouse at 425 Grand Avenue West.

What if I still have a question or concern?

Please feel free to contact the Legal Services division at 519-360-1998 (phone), 519-436-3237 (fax) or We are here to serve the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.

What does the Municipality require as proof of insurance?

In circumstances where the Municipality of Chatham-Kent requires proof of insurance, a Certificate of Insurance must be provided. The certificate contains the following information:

  • Name of Insured
  • Limits of Liability: the Municipality requires a minimum of $2 million General Liability coverage and $2 million Auto Liability coverage
  • What the applicable event or location the insurance is being provided for
  • Clause naming the Municipality of Chatham-Kent as an Additional Insured
  • A cross liability clause
  • Other coverages as directed by the Municipality

Your insurance company or broker can assist you in obtaining certificates of insurance.

How do I submit a claim to the Municipality?  

The Municipality of Chatham-Kent will not be held responsible for your losses unless you can provide evidence that the Municipality committed a negligent act or omission which resulted in a loss. We suggest that in all cases of loss or damage you contact your insurance company or broker.  Depending on the type of property damaged and the insurance policy you purchased, you may be eligible for compensation from your insurance company.

Like most Canadian municipalities, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent only compensates when it is legally obligated to do so.  This approach helps to reduce costs for the taxpaying public who bear the cost of these claims.

Claim Reporting Process

Prepare your notice of claim in writing and ensure it contains the following information:

  • The name, mailing address, e-mail address and telephone number of the person making the claim.
  • The contact name, mailing address, e-mail address, and telephone number of the person submitting the claim (if different from above).
  • The date, approximate time of the incident and exact location (address or closest intersection).
  • The name of your insurance company and broker.
  • Your insurance policy number.
  • A description of what happened.
  • The type of damage or injury.
  • The name of any contractor involved (if known).
  • Steps you took to avoid the loss from occurring.

In some situations, you are required to place the Municipality on notice within 10 days of the incident. This must be done in writing. Please forward your notice to the following address within the 10 day period: 

Attention: Claims
Legal Services Division
Municipality of Chatham-Kent
315 King Street West, PO Box 640
Chatham-Kent, ON N7M 5K8

If you have any further questions about the claims notification process, please contact us at the mailing address listed above.