Step One - Internal Review
You need to ask for an Internal Review within 30 days from the day you receive a letter about a decision.
Your request for a review must be in writing or you can use the online form.
If you write a letter, make sure you say that you are asking for an Internal Review. Include your name, member ID number (this is the number that is on your benefit statement or the letter you received from Ontario Works), and date of birth (day, month, year).
You should also:
- try to explain why you disagree with the decision that was made
- include any additional information or documents that you think will help the review.
If you need more than 30 days to ask for a review because of special circumstances, you will need to explain in your request why you need more time.
Then send your Internal Review request to your local Ontario Works office.
Step Two - Social Benefits Tribunal
You can appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal if:
- you are not satisfied with the result of the Internal Review
- your request for an Internal Review was not completed within 10 days.
The Social Benefits Tribunal only hears appeals on certain cases. You have to file your appeal within 30 days of the completed Internal Review.
To make an appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal, you will need to:
- Complete an Appeal Form which you can get from your local Ontario Works office or the Social Benefits Tribunal.
- Send the completed Appeal Form to the Social Benefits Tribunal. You can mail, fax, or hand deliver the form to:
Social Benefits Tribunal
1075 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto ON M5S 2B1
If you have questions, or need help filling out the form, you can contact the Social Benefits Tribunal:
Toronto and area: 416-326-0978
TTY (toll-free): 1-800-268-7095
TTY (Ottawa): 613-566-2235