** AFFORDABLE HOME OWNERSHIP PROGRAM IS CLOSED for 2018!
The Affordable Home Ownership program provides individuals and families with a loan for the down payment on a home.
The Investment in Affordable Housing (IAH 2014 Extension), Homeownership Program is being delivered by Chatham-Kent Housing Services on behalf of the Federal and Provincial governments.
If you qualify, you can receive 7% of the purchase price of a home, up to a maximum of $8,300. Funding is in the form of a 20 year interest-free loan registered on title. The home must:
To qualify you must...
- Have rented consecutively in Chatham-Kent for 12 months
- Currently a resident of Chatham-Kent and renting
- Be at least 18 years old
- Not own or not partly own another home or property
- Not owe money to a Social Housing landlord
- Be a legal resident of Canada
- Have a total gross household income of $71,300 or less
- Be eligible for a mortgage at a recognized financial institution. Click here for a list of NHA approved lenders
- Intend to have this home as your one and only residence (you cannot transfer or lease it to someone else)
How do I apply?
- Review the Fact Sheet for detailed information on the requirements and eligibility criteria
- Complete and sign the application form
- Deliver or mail your completed application to Chatham-Kent Housing Services with all of the required supporting documents
For a copy of the application:
- Download and print the application
- Call Chatham-Kent Housing Services to have an application mailed to you
- Visit the Chatham-Kent Housing Services office during regular office hours: Monday to Friday (excluding holidays) 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to pick up an application form
Note: Details are subject to change at the discretion of the Chatham-Kent Housing Services Division (CKHS) and per the requirements of the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
Be sure to check back regularly for updates!