To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen, landed immigrant (permanent resident) or refugee
Not be receiving Rent-Geared-To-Income (RGI)
- Have income below the Household Income Limits
What are the Household Income Limits for this program?
1 Bedroom Unit - Gross Household Income $31,000
2 Bedroom Unit - Gross Household Income $33,500
3 Bedroom Unit - Gross Household Income $43,000
Affordable Rent Locations
Adelaide Manor, 59 Adelaide Street, South, Chatham
20 Wedgewood St., Chatham
Riverview Terrace, (for Seniors) 5
Tecumseh Road, Chatham
How can I apply for Affordable Housing?
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older and sign the application
- You must be able to live independently.
- You must be a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident or have made an application for status as a Permanent Resident or have Refugee Claimant status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canada where no removal order has become enforceable against any member of the household.
Please complete, sign and date the application form:
Please make sure that all of the supporting documents are attached:
Copy of birth certificate for all members of the family
Must include the most recent Notice of Assessment
If you own a house or sold a house within the last 3 years – the mortgage statement or deed papers (you must agree to put property up for sale upon offer)
Please answer all questions in full and if the question does not apply to you, please put N/A (not applicable).
You cannot owe arrears to any Housing Services Provider or have been found by the Rental Housing Tribunal or a court of law to have misrepresented income in relation to the receipt of rent geared to income assistance. You will not be eligible for Housing Services until arrears are paid in full
Submit your signed, dated and completed 'original' application (hand deliver or mail) to:
Housing Services Division
435 Grand Avenue West, PO Box 1296
Chatham, Ontario N7M 5R9
Office hours are Monday - Friday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (excluding holidays) .
IMPORANT NOTE: emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.
If your application is approved, you will be placed on our waiting list.
If you require a hard copy of the application or for further information please contact:
Housing Services Division / Community Human Services
(519) 351-8573 press 3