• You pay your rent-geared-to-income (RGI) portion of rent to your landlord.
  • The Rent Supplement bridges the gap between your geared-to-income rent (RGI) and the full market rental rate.
  • Tenants are selected from the Chatham-Kent Co-ordinated Access Wait List (CKCAWL) to ensure fairness.
  • Tenants who move into Rent Supplement units sign a standard lease with the private sector landlord.

When and how do I apply for the Rent Supplement Program?

  • All applicants must be 16 years of age or older and sign the application
  • You must be able to live independently.
  • You must be a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident or have made an application for status as a Permanent Resident or have Refugee Claimant status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canada where no removal order has become enforceable against any member of the household.

Please make sure that all of the supporting documents are attached:

  • birth certificate for all members of the family
  • If you own a house or sold a house within the last 3 years – the mortgage statement  or deed papers (you must agree to put property up for sale upon offer)

Please answer all questions in full and if the question does not apply to you, please put N/A (not applicable).

  • Iyou lived in rent-geared-to-income Housing previously, please indicate the address in full and the name you had when you were living there (ie maiden name)
  • You cannot owe arrears to any Housing Services Provider or have been found by the Rental Housing Tribunal or a court of law to have misrepresented income in relation to the receipt of rent geared to income assistance.  You will not be eligible for Housing Services until arrears are paid in full

Please submit your signed, dated and completed 'original' application

(hand deliver or mail) to: 

Housing Services Division 
435 Grand Avenue West, PO Box 1296

Chatham, Ontario  N7M 5R9

Office hours are Monday - Friday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.

IMPORANT NOTE: emailed or faxed applications will not be accepted.

Apply Now:

If you require further information please contact:

Housing Services Division / Community Human Services
(519) 354-8753