The Rent-geared-to-Income program gives individuals and families with low to moderate income, the chance to rent a housing unit at a lower cost.
- You may pay about 30% of your gross monthly income on rent, and
- If your income changes, your rent will also change
How can I apply for RGI housing?
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older and sign the application
- You must be able to live independently.
- You must be a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident or have made an application for status as a Permanent Resident or have Refugee Claimant status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canada where no removal order has become enforceable against any member of the household.
Please make sure that all of the supporting documents are attached:
birth certificate for all members of the family
If you own a house or sold a house within the last 3 years – the mortgage statement or deed papers (you must agree to put property up for sale upon offer)
Please answer all questions in full and if the question does not apply to you, please put N/A (not applicable).
If you lived in Rent-Geared-to-Income Housing previously, please indicate the address in full and the name you had when you were living there (ie maiden name)
You cannot owe arrears to any Housing Services Provider or have been found by the Rental Housing Tribunal or a court of law to have misrepresented income in relation to the receipt of rent geared to income assistance. You will not be eligible for Housing Services until arrears are paid in full
Applications can be submitted electronically (complete digital version below);
OR, print off the above electronic version, complete, sign, date and attach necessary documentation and drop it off or mail it to;
Housing Services Division
435 Grand Avenue West, PO Box 1296
Chatham, Ontario N7M 5R9
If you require a hard copy of the RGI applicaiton mailed to you or for further information please contact:
Housing Services Division / Community Human Services
Office hours are Monday - Friday - 8:00 am - 4:30 pm.