Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of commonly asked questions and answers about applying for housing and housing programs.

How can I apply and become eligible for Social Housing in Chatham-Kent?

• You must be 16 years of age or older

• You must be able to live independently.

• You must be a Canadian Citizen with a Birth Certificate or Landed immigrant/refugee status papers. If you do not yet have landed or refugee status, enclose a letter and receipt of payment from Immigration showing you have applied for status.

• You cannot owe arrears to any Housing Services Provider or have been found by the Rental Housing Tribunal or a court of law to have misrepresented income in relation to the receipt of rent geared to income assistance.

With your application, be sure to attach copies of:

• Birth certificates for each household member listed on the application. 

• If you do not yet have landed or refugee status, enclose a letter and receipt of payment from Immigration showing you have applied for status.

• In order to qualify for a bedroom for your child(ren), you must have the child(ren) 50% of the time. Therefore, please provide custody/ support court papers OR a copy of your child tax credit OR a letter from your ex-partner outlining the custody and outlining the support details.

• You must submit your ‘original’ application – faxed or emailed will not be accepted.

I own my own home. Can I still apply?

If you own a residential property that can be used all year, you must sell your residential property within 6 months after receiving Rent-Geared-To-Income housing.

How do I get my ‘original’ application to Housing Services? Can I drop my application off at the service centre in my area?

Yes, you can drop your ‘original’ application off at any of these service centres and it will be forwarded to Housing Services.

How long will I have to wait?

Chatham-Kent Housing does not offer emergency housing for applicants. There is an application process and wait time for all locations. We encourage applicants to have an alternate plan in place if needing immediate housing while on our Housing waitlist. The length of time also depends on how flexible you are about where you want to live and the type of housing you want. Some households may qualify for a priority that may allow them to be housed sooner.

What if I’m going to be homeless?

If you are experiencing homelessness, please call 519-351-8573 between 8:00 am – 4:30 pm OR
519-354-6628 after 4:30 pm. You can contact the Salvation Army at 519-354-1430 for a list of other housing options available throughout Chatham-Kent.

Do I need to keep my application current?

Yes. It is important that we always have up-to-date information about your household. 
You must contact CKHS immediately at 519-351-1228 if there are any changes in:
Your address
Phone number
The number of people in your household
Income information
Building preferences
You may lose an offer if a provider calls with an offer and the information you give them about your income or the number of people in your household is different than what is on your application. Also, your file may be cancelled if you move and we cannot reach you.

How many offers for Rent-Geared-To-Income housing do I get?

You are allowed 1 housing offer. The offer will be based on your building selections. If you refuse your one offer, your file will be cancelled. If you are still interested in Rent-Geared-To-Income housing, you will have to reapply with a new application date. So, be sure to only choose locations you really want.

What are Non-Profits?

Private Non-Profit Housing -Non-profit corporations are privately owned. They are operated by an elected Board of Directors from the community at large. The Board sets policies and makes decisions on behalf of the non-profit. Daily operational duties are usually performed by a property manager or employee under the direction of the Board. The non-profits’ actions are governed by non-profit by-laws 
and legislation.

What are Co-operatives?

Co-operative Housing (Private Non-Profit) - Co-operatives are privately owned non-profits that are independent and self-directing. The people who live in the co-op units form the membership and each member has a vote in the affairs of the co-op. The Board of Directors are elected from the membership and govern the co-operatives’ actions in accordance with co-op by-laws and the Co-operative Corporations Act.

What programs are offered through Housing Services?

Chatham-Kent Housing Services (CKHS) offers these programs.

More questions?

If you have a question that is not listed above, please contact Housing Services at 519-351-1228 Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 4:30 pm.