Chatham-Kent Housing Services pays a rent supplement directly to your landlord, reducing your market rent. The rent supplement can bridge the gap between your geared-to-income rent (RGI) and the full market rental rate if you're paying directly to your landlord. Tenants are selected from the Chatham-Kent Co-ordinated Access Wait List (CKCAWL) to ensure fairness.
Applying for the Rent Supplement Program
- All applicants must be 16 years of age or older and sign the application.
- You must be able to live independently.
- You must be a Canadian Citizen/Permanent Resident or have made an application for status as a Permanent Resident or have Refugee Claimant status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Canada where no removal order has become enforceable against any member of the household.
- If you lived in RGI Housing previously, please indicate the address in full and the name you had when you were living there (i.e. maiden name).
- You cannot owe arrears to any Housing Services Provider or have been found by a court of law to have misrepresented income in relation to the receipt of rent geared to income assistance. You will not be eligible for Housing Services until arrears are paid in full.
Please make sure that all of the supporting documents are attached:
- Birth certificate for all members of the family
- If you own a house or have sold a house within the last three (3) years – the mortgage statement or deed papers (you must agree to put the property up for sale upon offer)
Please answer all questions in full and if the question does not apply to you, please put N/A (not applicable).
Submit your signed, dated and completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions or more information about the Rent Supplement Program, call 519-351-1228 Monday to Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.