Child Care Subsidy

Click here for Emergency Child Care

Subsidy Calculator

Use this subsidy calculator to determine your estimated monthly parental contribution amount for child care fee assistance. Do not include a "$" sign when you enter any number/figures.

You will need your Notice of Assessment/Reassessment (NOA) to be able to apply for subsidy. If you do not have your NOA, please call the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281.

Please enter the amount as shown on line 236 from the NOA for the last tax year below for you and your partner if applicable.



Am I eligible?

You may be eligible to apply for financial assistance if:

  • You are living in Chatham-Kent.
  • You have confirmed that a space is available for your child(ren) at a licensed child care centre, home-care provider with a licensed child care agency or registered High Five Recreation Program that has a Purchase of Service Agreement with the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.
  • You are the child's parent, kinship care, or legal guardian and the child is living with you.
  • You have filed a Federal Tax Return and have a Notice of Assessment from the most recent tax year.
  • You are working and/or attending school.
  • Your child has been referred, in writing, by two referring agencies. A referring agency may be a doctor, speech therapist, teacher or other professionals who currently work with you or your child.
  • The parent's doctor/specialist has recommended licensed child care. (Medical Letter required)

Steps to Apply for Child Care Subsidy

  1. Apply for child care through the Chatham-Kent Child Care and Supports Registry and make sure to check "yes" I am interested in applying for child care subsidy.   
  2. When your child has been placed at a licensed child care provider, our client and systems support staff will start the intake process of your child care subsidy application and collect all the necessary documents specific to your circumstances.  
  3. Once all the necessary documents have been submitted, an appointment with a case manager will be booked to complete the application. 
  4. Attend the appointment with the case manager to review your application and complete the income test to determine if you are eligible for subsidy and how much financial assistance will be provided. 

Document Checklist for Child Care Subsidy Application

This is a general overview of documents that are required for the Child Care Subsidy application.

Your specific circumstances may require a selection of documents listed below. Please refer to your email from for your required documents. Your Child Care Subsidy Application appointment for financial assistance cannot be scheduled until all required documents are received. The full cost of child care is the parent's responsibility until the Child Care Subsidy application is complete.

If your marital status is married/common-law, we require these documents from both adults in the household.

Reason for Child Care


  • Two most recent pay stubs from your employer(s)                                                                          


  • Signed Declaration of Self-Employment
  • T1 General from most recent tax year
  • Copy of business registration, licence, contract or business plan
  • If self–employed and incorporated, two (2) most recent pay stubs

In-School or Training:                                                                                                                

  • School registration with class schedule
  • Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) Funding Summary which states your student status (part-time or full time)

Referral for Child Care:

  • For the Child – two referral letters by two different agencies. A referring agency may be a doctor, speech therapist, teacher or other professionals who currently work with you or your child
  • For the Parent/Legal Guardian – A medical note by your doctor or specialist recommending licensed child care

Financial Information

Tax Information - one of the following for the most recent tax year:

  • Notice of Assessment (for each parent)
  • RC143 E Income Tax Return Information - Regular (for each parent) 
  • Canada Child Benefit (CCB)

Tax returns, T1 Summary or T4s are not accepted.

Newcomers to Canada:

  • Proof of landing date is required if income tax has not been filed. (Record of Landing (IMM1000) and/or Canadian Permanent Resident Identification)

Receiving Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP):

  • Most recent cheque stub


One of the following for each family member, if you were born in Canada:

  • Canadian Birth Certificate
  • Canadian Statement of Live Birth
  • Canadian Passport
  • Driver's Licence
  • Indian Status Card

Health Cards and Social Insurance cards are not accepted.

One of the following for each family member if you were born outside of Canada:

  • Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Identification
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence in Canada (IMM5292)
  • Record of Landing (IMM1000)
  • Protected Person Status

If you do not have status in Canada, please provide verification of your Permanent Resident Application.

Where You Live

One of the following to confirm that you live in Chatham-Kent:

  • Mortgage
  • Property tax bill
  • Rent receipt with landlord's name and phone number
  • A recent utility bill

Documents submitted must be recent within the last 3 months.