The joining of the former utilities creates an opportunity for CK PUC to review and address all cost savings. Our design takes into account the competitive environment in which we operate. Savings were found due to the combined water and wastewater operations, the joining of hydro and water/wastewater billing and collecting systems, as well as the partnership for bill and payment processing.
CK PUC is a member of the Tri-County Primary Water System; supplies water to Lakeshore and has water service interconnections with the Lambton area water system and the Municipality of Leamington.
CK PUC has developed a strategic plan to address Asset Management that focuses on both the fixed assets and the human resource assets. CK PUC is fully funded through rates and water/sewer charges, and has one of the lowest rates in Southwestern Ontario. We have detailed succession planning, staff training and certification programs.
CK PUC currently operates the following:
- 6 water treatment plants with distribution systems
- 1 stand alone water distribution system
- Approximately 1,710 km of water mains, 3,321 hydrants and 39,636 customer connections
- 8 wastewater treatment plants / collection systems
- 2 lagoon systems
- approximately 533 km of sanitary sewers lines, 50 km of combined sanitary and storm sewer lines, 23,381 km of private drain connections and 29,493 customer connections to sanitary sewers