What Can I Do with a Library Card?
With a library card, you can:
- Borrow books, movies, magazines, ebooks, audiobooks and more!
- Reserve and use Internet computers.
- Search the library catalogue for items and place holds through the website.
- Explore a wealth of online databases.
- Register for library programs and events.
How Much does a Library Card Cost?
Membership is free to all who live, attend school or own property in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. With a current CKPL card you can borrow and return materials from any of our 11 branches.
With a current CKPL card you can obtain a library card from Elgin, Essex, Middlesex, Sarnia-Lambton and St. Thomas. Residents of Elgin, Essex, Middlesex, Sarnia-Lambton and St. Thomas can obtain a library card from CKPL by presenting a current library card from their home library system.
Our non-resident fee for adults is $30 per year and $15 for six months.
How do I Register for a Library Card?
Visit any CKPL branch and provide one piece of identification showing your name and current address. Photo ID is preferred. Children under 16 should be accompanied by a parent/ legal guardian.
Memberships are renewed every two years by showing valid ID. All fees and fines must be paid before membership can be renewed.
Personal information is collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
You can sign up for a virtual library card online if you only wish to use CKPL's virtual services. A virtual library card gives you access to:
Schools, daycares, businesses and non-profit groups or agencies can check out library materials to a special library card called a corporate card. Benefits of a corporate card include:
- The card can be shared amongst the organization.
- All items from the organization are on one account. There is no need for an individual staff or volunteer to have to use their own personal library card.
- The organization assumes responsibility for all items checked out on its card.
To obtain a corporate library card, fill out the Corporate Registration Authorization Form and submit it to any CKPL branch. A senior official/administrator must sign for the card and accept responsibility on behalf of the organization.
Corporate card rules are the same as any other library card. Your organization will be responsible for all charges resulting from late, damaged or lost materials borrowed on your corporate card.
What if My Card is Lost or Stolen?
A lost or stolen library card must be reported immediately. Replacement cards will be issued at a cost of $2.