Zoning By-laws establish and regulate the use of land by implementing the policies of the Municipality's Official Plan. They provide cities with a way to co-ordinate land uses, protect areas by preventing incompatible uses, and establish appropriate standards for development. Zoning By-laws contain specific, legal regulations, such as permitted uses of a property. The basic purpose of a zoning bylaw is to regulate what you can build, where it can be built on the property, and how the land can be used.

Zoning Letters

Where Zoning Compliance, Zoning Review, and Environmental Assessment Letters are required, they can be obtained through the Building Department at 315 King St W. The office has 10 business days in which to complete the letters. Requests for letters can be faxed, mailed, e-mailed, or phoned in. 

Note: A separate letter and fee is required for a Certificate of Approval and Use permit for private sewage system information.

Fees for Zoning Letters

  • Zoning Review (Zoning/Work Orders): $105.75

  • Zoning Compliance: $105.75

  • Environmental Assessment: $105.75

  • Septic Review: $88.25

Accessing Zoning Online

To determine the zoning of a property yourself, you can access Chatham-Kent's mapping application. Please contact the Building Department for instructions on how to use the GeoCortex mapping application in order to obtain zoning information.

The zoning of each property is designated by a code, comprising numbers and words. The zoning codes are defined in the bylaw itself.

Note: Many zoning designations have special exceptions that are site specific to the various lands indicated in the site specific zone. For the various zoning designations, the Zoning By-law should be read in conjunction with any special exceptions.

While the information contained in the zoning by-law and On-Point maps are correct, they should not be the only resource you use.  Please call the zoning department at 519.360.1998 or visit the office at 315 King St W to determine the correct zoning and interpretation of the zoning by-law for your property.