Bride signing a marriage licenceWhere can I obtain a Marriage Licence Application?

Marriage licence application forms are available at any Municipal Office or you may complete and print the application found on the Service Ontario Webpage called Getting Married in the Useful Links section of this page. Once you have completed the application form you may apply for the marriage licence.

Is there a waiting period?

Generally, marriage licenses are issued within two business days provided that the applicant submits the necessary documentation.

Age Requirement

Minimum age requirement for a marriage licence is eighteen. Sixteen and seventeen year olds are eligible for a marriage licence with written consent of the legal guardian (Form 6 can be obtained at any Municipal Office).


The fee for a marriage licence is $135.00 no HST. Applicants may pay with Cash, Debit Card, or Certified Cheque only.

Required Documentation

In order to be eligible for a Marriage Licence, each partner must provide 2 pieces of VALID and ORIGINAL identification confirming name and birth date.

The first piece of identification must be one of the following:

  • Birth Certificate

  • Current Passport

  • Record of Immigrant Landing

  • Canadian Citizenship Card

  • Nexus Card

  • Permanent Residency Card

The second piece of identification must be Government issued photo identification with all of the following criteria: your photo, current legal name and date of birth. 

Government issued identification may include:

  • Driver's Licence

  • Ontario Photo Card

  • Native Status Card

  • Fire Arms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)

  • Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

Not accepted as Government issued identification:

  • Social Insurance Number (SIN) Card

Please note: The name on both pieces of your ID must be the same. The first name and last names must match on the two pieces of ID you are presenting. To have your middle name included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID. 

Without this documentation a Marriage Licence may not be issued.

Getting Married After the Passing of a Spouse

If you have been widowed and are getting remarried, you are required to submit proof of death (Death Certificate or Funeral Director’s Certificate) when applying for a Marriage Licence. An original or certified copy of the Certificate is preferred; however, photocopies may be accepted.

Getting Married After a Divorce

Additional documentation is required for applicants who have been divorced. Please review the document to the left titled ‘Getting Married after a Divorce’ for more information.

Length of Validity

The marriage licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for a period of three months from the date of issue.

Changing Your Name After Getting Married

After you are married you may assume your spouse’s last name or a combination of your last name and your spouse’s last name. You may do this simply by applying to change all of your identification (health card, drivers licence, passport and banking information etc.) with your marriage certificate.

You can apply for a marriage certificate (a separate document from your marriage licence) online. Please note that your marriage must be registered by the individual that presided over your marriage before you can apply for a marriage certificate.

Note: If you are getting married outside of Ontario your Travel Agent should have the necessary information for the location of the marriage.

Getting Married After a Divorce in Canada

Additional documents are needed if a divorce or annulment has been obtained by one or both of the applicants for a marriage licence. If you were divorced in Canada, you must bring the original or court-certified copy of the final decree, final judgment or certificate of divorce when you are applying for the marriage licence.

Photo copies will not be accepted. To obtain a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce please contact the courthouse where the divorce was issued.

Getting Married After a Divorce Outside of Canada

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must obtain a foreign divorce authorization from the Ministry of Government Services before you can apply for a marriage licence. Allow an additional month to go through this process prior to the issuance of a marriage licence.

The following documentation must be completed:

  • A completed Marriage Licence Application.

  • A completed Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both parties of this marriage.

  • An original or court-certified copy (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce or annulment was granted) of the divorce decree or annulment. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by a certified translator.

  • A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants to the marriage, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario . The Office of the Registrar General will fax a sample legal opinion letter to your lawyer if you call 1.807.343.7492 or toll-free at 1.800.461.2156.

Once the above mentioned documentation has been completed, the documents must be sent to The Office of the Registrar General for authorization:

The Office of the Registrar General
Marriage Office
189 Red River Road
PO Box 4600
Thunder Bay ON P7B 6L8