Who is eligible to conduct raffles, bingos, and sell Nevada tickets?

Only organizations that have obtained their Charitable and/or Not-for-profit Status.

How does an organization obtain Charitable Status?

Applications to obtain Charitable Status can be obtained at the Municipality.

What is the cost of a Lottery Licence?

The lottery licence fee is based on 3% of the prize value being awarded.

How long does it take to get a lottery licence?

If all of the required information has been provided you should receive the lottery licence within a 24-hour workday period.

Where can I get a birth certificate?

As of June 2, 2008, parents will no longer register their newborn with the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. Instead, parents will be required to submit the Statement of Live Birth for their newborn directly to ServiceOntario’s Office of the Registrar General.

Parents are encouraged to complete the newborn registration on-line at www.serviceontario.ca/newborn. Paper forms will still be available at the hospital or municipal office for parents that prefer to submit their documents directly to the Registrar General by mail.

For more information, please contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 or visit www.serviceontario.ca.

I have sent my child's statement of live birth in but have not obtained the birth certificate. We are travelling out of country and require a travel letter. Where do I go and what is the cost?
Travel Letters for births occurring in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent after June 2nd, 2008, will no longer be issued by the Municipality. Parents are encouraged to complete the registration process and apply for birth certificate on-line.

Births will be registered electronically and birth certificates issued subsequent to registration. For more information, please contact the Office of the Registrar General at 1-800-461-2156 or visit www.serviceontario.ca.

What information do I need to provide to get a marriage licence?

If you have never been married and are of legal age to marry, a birth certificate and photo ID are required. If you have been married but divorced, the original true copy of the divorce decree must accompany the ID. In some cases, additional information is required.

Where can I get a copy of my divorce decree?

You can obtain a copy of your divorce decree at the courthouse in which you obtained your divorce.

Do we both need to be present to obtain a marriage licence?

No however both individuals need to sign the application and the absent persons identification is needed.

How does a person obtain a kennel licence?

Prior to anyone receiving a kennel licence the location must first be approved through the building division to ensure that the kennel is located in a permitted zone.

How do I get a taxi driver licence?

Taxi licence applications are available at all Municipal Service Centres. Attached to the application is a police record search application, which must be completed and dropped off at the police services.

There is a $25.00 fee for the process of this police clearance application. Once an individual has obtained their clearance, they bring a copy along with the completed taxi licence application to the Civic Centre.

A current driver's licence will need to be produced at that time. If all of the requirements are met a photo identification card will be issued. The cost is $32.50.

What businesses require a licence in Chatham-Kent?

We license the following businesses throughout the Municipality of Chatham-Kent:

  • Barber Shop/Hair Salon

  • Bed & Breakfast Locations

  • Carnival/Circus

  • Caterer

  • Food Carts

  • Variety Stores

  • Grocery Stores

  • Fruit & Vegetable Stands

  • Group Homes

  • Hotel/Motel

  • Ice Cream Vendors

  • Lodging Homes

  • Mobile Lunch Wagons

  • Non-Resident Salesperson

  • Resident Salesperson

  • Pawn Broker/Pawn Shop

  • Nail Salons

  • Tanning Salons

  • Personal Services

  • Public/Banquet Halls

  • Public Pools

  • Race Track

  • Restaurants

  • Retirement Homes

  • Seasonal Housing (Migrant Housing)

  • Second Hand Shops

  • Specific Location Daily Sales

  • Tattoo/Body Piercing

  • Tobacco Sales

  • Tourist/Trailer Camp

These businesses fall under municipal bylaws and all have requirements that must be met prior to the issuing of the Municipal Business Licence.

Can anyone obtain a copy of the various different by-laws?

Yes, copies of the bylaws can be obtained from any Municipal Service Centre within the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.