Why weren't my recyclables collected?

If there are mixed recyclables in the black box (anything other than fibre material), it will not be collected. Cardboard is required to be broken down, flattened, tied and bundled in dimensions no larger than 30"x30"x8". Anything larger than the required dimensions or that is not tied/bundled will not be collected.

If there are mixed recyclables in the blue box (anything other than acceptable recyclable cans/plastic/glass) it will not be collected.

Recyclables in clear transparent bags or that are not in either a blue/black box will not be collected (with the exception of cardboard).

What time does my garbage/recycling have to be at the curb?

All garbage and recycling must be placed at the curb no earlier than 7:00 p.m. the day prior to collection and no later than 7:00 a.m. the day of collection as per By-Law 122-2014.

Is there a limit per household for recycling?

No, there is no limit for acceptable blue/black box items. However, they are required to be in either a blue or black box (with the exception of cardboard that is tied and bundled in the appropriate dimensions).

Please refer to the Recycling Guide under the Downloads section for further details.

Where do I pick up a blue or black box?

Blue and black boxes can be obtained from the Civic Centre in Chatham or any of the Municipal Centres/Information Desks throughout the Municipality.

How do I recycle cardboard?

Cardboard must be flattened, tied securely in a bundle and stacked in or beside the black box. Bundles must not exceed 75 cm x 75 cm x 20cm (30" x 30" x 8").

Do apartment buildings (non-condo units) in the Municipality participate in recycling?

Provincial Regulation 103/94 requires the owner of every apartment building containing 6 or more dwelling units/apartments to provide a source separation recycling program for their tenants.  This is regulated through the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, not Chatham-Kent.  We will collect the recycling, but only if it is source separated into recycling toter carts which are then rolled out to the curb for bi-weekly collection.  The Municipality subsidizes the carts at 50%.

Do we have a program for tire recycling?

All of our Transfer Stations accept rimless passenger tires. Tires are not collectible at the curb.

What is my weekly garbage bag limit?

Each residential property is eligible to have one garbage toter cart (lid closed flat) or three garbage bags/items each week. All Commercial, Institutional and Industrial properties are eligible for 2.0 cubic metres or up to 24 (30" x 36") bags each week.

What happens to the excess garbage if I exceed my bag limit?

All items in excess of the bag limit will be left at the curb. It is the owner's responsibility to remove these items from the curb or dispose of them through a private contractor.

I have a large household appliance, a piece of furniture or a roll of carpet to dispose of, what does that count as?

Appliances such as refrigerant units, microwaves, dishwashers, freezers, stoves, washing machines, clothes dryers, etc. are not accepted at the curb. Please refer to the transfer station page for further options.

Carpet is required to be rolled and tied no longer than 5 ft. in length. Each bundle is considered to be one bag/item toward the limit.  When placing items such as this at the curb for collection, it is recommended not to use the toter cart that week but use garbage bags for household waste instead.

Non metal items such as furniture (i.e. couch, chair, dresser, etc) or carpet rolls can be placed out at the curb for collection and do count as one bag toward the three bag/item limit. When placing items such as this at the curb for collection do not to use the toter cart that week, use garbage bags for household waste instead.

There are two different sizes of toter carts, how do I know how much mine holds?

Yes, there are two different sizes of carts; a 95 gallon toter cart is equivalent to 3 garbage bags and a 68 gallon toter cart is equivalent to 2 garbage bags.

Each toter cart has an imprint on the top of the lid which indicates the size. If it is not legible, a 95 gallon cart is 45" high and a 68 gallon toter cart is 40" high.

What if I have a toter cart and a large item that needs to be collected?

If you have a 68 gallon toter cart, you are entitled to one other item. If you have a 95 gallon cart do not use the toter cart that week.  Place household garbage in garbage bags() instead.  The weekly limit for a single family home is three bags/items per week.

What happens if I leave my excess garbage at the curb until next week's collection?

The Municipality reserves the right to clean up excess amounts of garbage and invoice the owner accordingly.

What is considered hazardous waste?

Ammonia, bleach, pool chemicals, gasoline, antifreeze, paints, solvents, BBQ Starter, pesticides, rat poison, cleaning fluids, battery acids, drain cleaners, oven cleaners, needles, pharmaceuticals, etc.

These items are not accepted at the curb. Please visit www.dowhatyoucan.ca for the nearest return to vendor location or deliver it to the Household Hazardous Waste Day held each year in September.

Do we have a hazardous waste depot in Chatham-Kent?

Not in our Municipality. Please contact your nearest Municipal Centre to inquire when our next Household Hazardous Waste Day will be held. It is held one Saturday in September each year.

Where do I take my empty paint cans, empty propane tanks, old refrigerators?

Empty and dried out paint cans without lids can be recycled by placing them in the blue box.

Empty propane tanks can be disposed of at a Transfer Station (20-30 lbs only).

How do I dispose of used needles and/or syringes?

Needles and/or syringes may be dropped off at most pharmacies (please call first) and at the annual Household Hazardous Waste Day held each year in September.

Where do I take my leaves and brush?

In the spring and fall, leaves and brush are picked up weekly with curbside collection provided it is within your limit. Brush must be no longer than 5ft. in length as well as bundled and tied. Each bag/bundle counts as one bag/item toward your weekly limit.

Please see Leaf and Yard Depots for locations and hours.

Where can I get wood mulch?

Free wood mulch is available at most Leaf and Yard Depots. Please refer to Leaf and Yard Depots.

What happens to the recyclables collected from Chatham-Kent residents?

All acceptable recyclable material placed in a blue/black box or dropped off at a rural transfer station is delivered to Chatham-Kent Recycling, a private company located in the Community of Raleigh.

The various types of recyclable material (plastics, cans, glass, paper, etc.) are then source separated and processed at this facility prior to being shipped to end recycling markets located throughout Ontario.

The recyclables are then 'recycled' into other useable items.

Some of these items include:

  • Plastic – used in the production of fleece, carpet yarn, plastic buckets, CD cases, plastic lumber for decks or playground equipment, rulers, t-shirts, window frames, etc.

  • Office Paper - may be turned into writing paper, tissue and towel products, etc.

  • Newsprint - recycled into new newsprint, insulation and animal bedding products, etc.

  • Corrugated cardboard/boxboard - often processed back into these same items

  • Aluminum cans - recycled into new aluminum cans, car body parts etc.

  • Glass - is turned back into glass bottles, jars, stained glass, glass tiles, etc.

Keep up the good work Chatham-Kent!