If you plan to erect a sign in the Municipality of Chatham-Kent, you may need to submit a permit application form. It is recommended that you review our Sign By-law to determine if your proposed signage requires a permit. All signs are required to comply with the Sign By-law as well as the Ontario Building code, so it is important to review these regulations to ensure that you are in compliance at all times prior to any sign being erected.

All documents and information for the sign permit application can be obtained below or by visiting Building Development Services during regular business hours. It is recommended that you review the Sign By-law prior to applying for your permit.

How do I apply?

To apply for a permit the applicant shall submit an application to the Municipality, which shall be accompanied by the following unless deemed unnecessary by the Chief Building Official.

  1. Drawings and specifications showing: 
    • plans of the proposed sign drawn to scale including construction details, supporting framework, footings, foundation, illumination details, height and weight, area, clearance height and elevation in relation to adjacent buildings and the sign type (two copies); 
    • Materials and specifications (including colours);
    • a site plan showing the proposed location of the sign in relation to the building and the boundaries of the lot upon which it is to be situated; and (iv) the size and location of existing signs on the property. 

  2. In case of signs affixed to any wall, plans showing the elevation of the building on which the proposed sign is to be erected, doors, windows and other openings, wall area, location and colour of the proposed sign; 
  3. Where a proposed sign will front on a Provincial Highway, a copy of the approval from the Ministry of Transportation; 

*The permit fee is determined in compliance with the Fee Schedule*

What if my proposed sign does not comply with the regulations of the By-Law?

The regulations of the by-law are in place to ensure the safety and aesthetics of the Municipality of Chatham-Kent. However, in some instances what and how you want to advertise may not comply with the regulations.

If the proposed project does not comply with the By-Law regulations, the applicant may need to apply for a minor sign variance to meet their needs. Before pursuing a minor variance, it is recommended to speak with a Building Official to see if your application will comply with the Sign By-Law and whether or not it will be necessary to apply for a minor variance through the Planning Department.

If you have any questions you can give us a call at 519.360.1998