Process of Submitting a Complaint:


  1. A written, signed complaint form should be submitted to the Bylaw Enforcement office within the Building Services Department at 315 King St W.

  2. Once the form has been received, the Bylaw Enforcement Officer will visit the property in question to ensure that it is a valid complaint.

  3. If the complaint is valid, then a letter is sent to the property owner advising on the specifics of the infraction, what is required in order to comply with the specific bylaw, and how long will be given in order to comply.  

  4. The Bylaw Enforcement Officer will follow up with the complainant regarding the actions taken.


For a copy of the Bylaws that the department enforces, please contact Building Development Services at (519) 360-1998.

Who to Contact
Scrap, Refuse, & garbage on private property

Derelict Vehicles

Improper / Unsafe Fencing

Exterior / Interior maintenance, pest infestation, structural soundness, vandalism on private property

Complaint Form

By-Law Enforcement

Phone: 519.360.1998

Fax: 519.436.3215

(Clean and Clear By-Law)

(Derelict Vehicles By-Law)

(Fencing By-Law)

(Property Standards By-Law)
Overgrown/ Unkempt grass/ noxious Weeds
Public Works

Phone: 519.360.1998

(Weed Control By-law)

(Weed Control Act)

Curb Side debris/garbage
Waste Management           
Phone: 519.360.1998

(Curb side Garbage By-law)
Noise Complaint
Police Department
Non-Emergency: 519.352.1234
(Noise By-law)
Road conditions/quality
Engineering Services/ Public Works 
Phone: 519.360.1998 
The minimum maintenance Standards from the Ontario Municipal Act 2001 are applied on the Chatham-Kent Roads.
(Property Standards By-law)
There is currently no bylaws that handle the quality of trees, although Public Works services can include tree trimming and removal on municipal property.

Standing Water
Handling depends on concern, contact customer service to direct you to the proper department.
Phone: 519.360.1998
(Standing Water By-law)