Inground pool with blue liner surrounded by concrete patioA permit is required for the pool enclosure not the pool. In the Municipality of Chatham Kent we have a by-law enforcing the erection and maintenance of enclosures and gates surrounding privately owned outdoor swimming pools. The swimming pool enclosure must be erected prior to water being placed into the pool.

How much will the enclosure permit cost?

The permit fee is calculated in accordance to the Fee Schedule.

What is required when applying for a pool enclosure permit?

You must submit a pool enclosure permit application with two copies of the following information, to Building Development Services located at the Civic Centre in Chatham or your local municipal building:

  • Site plan:
    • Province distance and location of the swimming pool, deck (if applicable), pump, filter and proposed swimming pool enclosure in relation to all existing property lines, and man made structures located on the property [i.e. decks, sheds, buildings, etc.]. This plan shall also show any natural or man-made features, which are located closer than 1.22 m (4.0 ft.) from the exterior of the swimming pool which could facilitate the climbing of the swimming pool enclosure;
    • Location, size and elevation of all gates that provide access through the swimming pool enclosure into the swimming pool area.
    • Type of fencing to be installed [i.e. chain link, pressure treated wood, etc];

    • Exterior elevations of the swimming pool enclosure;

    • Type and size of all members that comprise the swimming pool enclosure;

    • Dimensions showing the height of the swimming pool enclosure, as well as spacing of all horizontal and vertical members;

    • Details and dimensions showing how the swimming pool enclosure is to be anchored to the ground;

    • Location of any main entrances to building or structure, if such structure is part of the proposed enclosure.

For specific information on what is required to erect the enclosure, refer to the Pool Enclosure By-Law, come into our office at 315 King St W, or give us a call at 519.360.1998.